Type keyword(s) to search

American Assassin (2017)

Lonesome Rhodes
  • Start Topic

This is an adaptation of the first novel in a phenomenally successful series authored by Vince Flynn.  The protagonist character for these books is Mitch Rapp (portrayed in this movie by Dylan O'Brien).

The movie plot is significantly different from the book's, but the core characterizations are very true.

The love of Rapp's life was murdered by some bad dudes in a famous terrorist attack (different one in the book).  He dedicates his life to hunting down and killing all involved, beginning with the head honcho.

He is recruited to join a CIA unit which takes out some very bad people.  The leader of this group, called "orion" is played by Sanaa Lathan.  It was tough for me, at times, to accept her as a hardened senior CIA manager, but she did try like heck to sell it.  The man who trains the special ops-type unit troops is played by Michael Keaton.  Think of his recent turn as Vulture in Spiderman and you won't be far off.  MK does a pretty good job with what he was tasked.  There really should have been more of him setting the tableau. The character is named Hurley.  He is central to everything.  We get but a taste of the training in the movie.  The book goes into much more detail, which I found to be highly entertaining and also crucial to the plot developments.

In the movie, some Russian plutonium has gone missing and it appears to have something to do with Iranians.  There is urgency as it is said to be a given an A-Bomb will be exploded.  And, we're off...

The movie gave us the usual surveillance and planning and close-in fighting and gun fights and on and on.  Suffice it to say, everyone would have been killed about 4.3 times over.  Rome looked beautiful and we got some angles that were new to me.  However, and I am prejudiced, the ultra-beautiful Taylor Kitsch was the best thing to these eyes.  Tim Riggins, y'all!

The movie honors the books and was sure to include certain scenes and moments that many of the readers would have most wanted to see.  I know, liked, and appreciated those callbacks.   Overall, having read the book, the movie was faithful enough to it.  I also think the movie works fine for those who are not familiar with the Rapp character.  O'Brien was at least believable.  I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys this genre and would very likely go to watch any potential sequels.

• Love 3

I really liked this movie and thought all the actors were very good.  I love a good spy movie and, while it isn't quite up to Bourne standards, I saw it twice.  The scenes at the beginning especially were very hard to take and I was on the edge of my seat for the end.  

On 10/1/2017 at 1:57 AM, JenMcSnark said:

I really liked this movie and thought all the actors were very good.  I love a good spy movie and, while it isn't quite up to Bourne standards, I saw it twice.  The scenes at the beginning especially were very hard to take and I was on the edge of my seat for the end.  

I liked it too and saw it twice. It's a shame the movie isn't doing well enough to warrant a sequel. I would have been down for that. I guess there's just too much of a glut in spy/conspiracy action thriller movies right now.

I did not see it coming that the Iran agent would kill herself for the cause. I totally thought they were setting up a rebound romance with her.

Taylor Kitsch made a nice villain. I hope he plays more parts like that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I liked it too and saw it twice. It's a shame the movie isn't doing well enough to warrant a sequel. I would have been down for that. I guess there's just too much of a glut in spy/conspiracy action thriller movies right now.

I did not see it coming that the Iran agent would kill herself for the cause. I totally thought they were setting up a rebound romance with her.

Taylor Kitsch made a nice villain. I hope he plays more parts like that.

Yes, it's a bummer.  Although it did make almost twice it's budget so at least it didn't completely flop.  I agree about the agent.  They were definitely making it seemed like a possible romance was brewing and I really felt for her when she said she wanted to see her family.  I knew Mitch couldn't do it, but was a bit shocked when she grabbed the gun.  Glad she went out on her own terms.