Type keyword(s) to search

(edited)
Mexico is more than the occasional immigration headline or a border fence. More than spring-break beaches or drug cartels. It's a complex nation. A nation full of fighters, a tradition that's evolved from the Aztec and Mayans warriors to the revolutionaries who threw off the yoke of Spanish imperialism. Today, determination, grit, and a fierce independent spirit continue to define Mexico. All necessary qualities in a country where lawlessness, corruption, and poverty are the daily norm.

Preview:

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/04/24/exp-anthony-bourdain-mexico-sneak-peek.cnn.html

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

This is the kind of episode I enjoy, where he gives us lots of delicious looking food but also shows us what is going on in the location. Corruption is a huge issue in Mexico as are the cartels and the violence. As much as I love seeing people brave enough to tell their stories, I also worry about their safety after episodes like this air.

• Love 1

This is the kind of episode I enjoy, where he gives us lots of delicious looking food but also shows us what is going on in the location.

I thought the episode was good too (if a bit graphic at times). But, apparently,  a lot of bloggers, chefs on twitter and folks on other discussion boaoardrds thought it did a great disservice to Mexico. They think that a show like this will only reinforce the idea that Mexico is a scary and dangerous place.

I'm not sure if it OK to post a link to another discussion board. PM me if anyone wants to know.

Oh, just a note, I have traveled to different parts of Mexico about a dozen times over the years. Some touristy spots, some not so much, and have always enjoyed it never felt in danger.

I thought the episode was good too (if a bit graphic at times). But, apparently,  a lot of bloggers, chefs on twitter and folks on other discussion boaoardrds thought it did a great disservice to Mexico. They think that a show like this will only reinforce the idea that Mexico is a scary and dangerous place.

I'm not sure if it OK to post a link to another discussion board. PM me if anyone wants to know.

Oh, just a note, I have traveled to different parts of Mexico about a dozen times over the years. Some touristy spots, some not so much, and have always enjoyed it never felt in danger.

I've seen this argument about Mexico come up a few times as well. Tourists aren't really getting in the cross hair as much though there have been some incidents. It still says a lot that 80K Mexican civilians have died as a result of this corruption and cartel problem.

It feels like Tony and co. can't seem to win in this scenario. This is not a typical food show and never has been so when it focuses on something less than appealing about a location, people take issue with it.

I still want to go even after the cartel stuff because I know that there are safe spots for the most part. I also know that Mexican corruption is a big problem and I'm glad he also highlighted it.