Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03 Visual Aids: GLOW's Latest Visual Aids Wrestle With The Elements Of Storytelling

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Thank you! I could NOT figure out what Betty Gilpin was mouthing after she got in the cab, and I rewound it several times! If only GIFs existed back then so Ruth could see that again and again.

Ruth is such a frustrating character. She can really empathize with people, and has the capacity to be a decent human being, but then she makes such stupid, selfish choices that ultimately aren't even in her own best interest. She actually reminds me of my first grader, who is just figuring this stuff out. When I watch my daughter try to make a difficult decision between what she wants and what she knows is right, the inner turmoil of "I want that, therefore I deserve to have it" vs. "doing that will make someone I love sad/mad" is almost visceral, and I see that same thing play out for Ruth.

So what I'm saying is that Ruth, an adult (do we know how old she is?), with her certainty that she "deserves" the best in life despite all evidence to the contrary, has the emotional maturity and inflated sense of self-importance of a seven-year-old. And that Alison Brie is great at conveying it.