Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Fire and Ice

James convinces a hockey player with a severe spinal injury to undergo risky surgery that could enable him to walk again. Also, James invites Walter’s wife, FDA executive Julianna Wallace, to Bunker Hill to persuade her to approve a new skin bio-printing trial,

I liked that Walter's wife DID put forth valid arguments WHY she could not greenlight this procedure regardless of how compelling the case was re the burn victim and her daughter.  Moreover, no matter how one sliced it (as good intentioned the MO may have been) James WAS essentially bribing her ( a government administrator) via the luxury suite, meals and gift basket. As much as I felt sorry for the poor burn victim, I would have liked it had Julianna kept her NO to the end just to see how James and Walter would have had to do had to make the best of things despite that constraint. Moreover; even with this procedure being successful, it wouldn't take much for someone with an axe to grind to call foul on BOTH Julianna and Walter re getting cozied up to this billionaire.

Yes, of course I was glad that the procedures seemed to work out for the hockey player wanting to use his skills to gift his struggling parents a house. However; even if he manages to regain ALL his mobility and skills, he REALLY needs to rethink about how to earn a living because EVERY SINGLE TIME he goes into the rink he (and every hockey player) risks having catastrophic injuries (to say nothing of longterm health problems re the impact of 'minor' mishaps). This is far more serious than just missing a few teeth.

Interesting that the only 'recurring' patient is the one with James's diagnosis. Yes, it's nice that they're able to keep his quality of life up as much as possible re chess games and personal visits but it's not going to entirely stop the inevitable- and what will James do if they CANNOT stop the progression much less reverse the effects or cure it?