Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: If I Were a Bell

Boyle Heights, 1958. 12 year old Maura's femininity causes a clash between her mother Rose and her grandparents, Haim and Yetta. Across town, 12 year old Shelly quits the school play and stops eating but won't tell anyone why. Flash forward to 1966, where 21 year olds Mort and Shelly carry on a secret affair.

This was also my favorite ep of the season (maybe of the entire series).  Am I understanding right, that Mort's mother moved out of the house when he saw her leaving with a suitcase?  If so, that's sad.  Can you imagine Mort having to be raised by the grandfather who was diametrically opposed to Mort's feminine side?

• Love 2

I thought the show took an annoying downturn this year.  The tribulations of the young Pfeffermans got to be too much for me.  But this episode may be one of the finest half hours I have ever seen on television, and it also explains the backstory of the characters, and the pathology their secrets spread like a poison through the generations.  Utterly compelling.  The child actor was astonishing.  What a find, for her talent, her resemblance to Gaby Hoffman, and what she brings through the role through personal experience.