Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: N-E-NEW A-I-AIDE

Drogo

On 9/30/2016 at 7:32 AM, Big Mother said:

I get that this is comedy and therefore it's over the top. But waht's the point of presenting this family as "We couldnt care less about the neighborhood, the neighbors, or the world, because WE HAVE A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD." They couldn't have it more wrong. Instead of being flippant, "This is who we are, suck it," they shouldve explained that they wohn't have time to do the normal neighborly things bc their child takes up so much of their time. They're behaving with a mixture of defensiveness, black humor, and "We're better than you because you don't know what it's like to raise such a child"-itis. It irks me. There is a way to be proud, accepting, and loving of one's special needs child without being @$$holes to the world.

Sigh.

Of course there is a way to behave better. It's called Parenthood, where they cried every episode over their special needs child. Just depends on the genre of the show. At least the neighbors saw a kid in a wheelchair and still called them out for being terrible- unlike how the school is about JJ, where he can do no wrong. I would implode if they became my neighbors, lol, truly, but this isn't real life. Really, they are not going to stop being "incorrect," because the creator is drawing from his own experiences and sensationalizing them. I don't think it is going to change. Respectively, I hope it doesn't. 

I don't think this series is geared towards gaining sensitivity about the special needs community, but more about remembering we are all crazy, and in various ways, we still all are put on the same playing field of challenges and faux pas. It seems to be trying to cut through some awkwardness by going deeply blunt. It doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea, of course. 

• Love 1
On 9/29/2016 at 5:53 AM, Tiger said:

Why doesnt Minnie's husband have a job? Or at least take care of his house?

Why doesn't Minnie have a job, or take care of the house? She could renovate as easily as he could. Three kids in school full time, they both could do it. Except the pilot explained they rarely stay in one place for any amount of time, so I don't think they bother flipping their houses. They don't commit, and expect to move on again. Would be sweet if over time, now that this environment is working for both JJ and the family, that we see little improvements here and there, as they cautiously decide to lay down a few roots.

10 hours ago, Chewy101 said:
On 9/29/2016 at 6:53 AM, Tiger said:

Why doesnt Minnie's husband have a job? Or at least take care of his house?

Why doesn't Minnie have a job, or take care of the house? She could renovate as easily as he could. Three kids in school full time, they both could do it. Except the pilot explained they rarely stay in one place for any amount of time, so I don't think they bother flipping their houses. They don't commit, and expect to move on again. Would be sweet if over time, now that this environment is working for both JJ and the family, that we see little improvements here and there, as they cautiously decide to lay down a few roots.

Jimmy does have a job, as was seen in a later episode.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:53 PM, Chewy101 said:

I would implode if they became my neighbors, lol, truly, but this isn't real life. Really, they are not going to stop being "incorrect," because the creator is drawing from his own experiences and sensationalizing them. I don't think it is going to change. Respectively, I hope it doesn't.

I don't think this series is geared towards gaining sensitivity about the special needs community, but more about remembering we are all crazy, and in various ways, we still all are put on the same playing field of challenges and faux pas. It seems to be trying to cut through some awkwardness by going deeply blunt. It doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea, of course. 

Well put. :D While it's still one of my least favorite episodes so far, along with "Choir" and "Oscar Party," it definitely had its moments -- Maya showing Dr. Miller (aka "Sea Slug") how she usually argues was a real hoot, and Kenneth helping JJ in the bathroom was incredibly sweet.

And while I found the whole "we're not jerks, we're idiots" thing a rather odd way* to flesh out Jimmy and Dylan after the pilot had focused so much on the other four main characters, I relished the idea of the father and daughter having their own special bond; Dylan would be about the age where she's becoming more and more aware of the adult world and concerns beyond things that affect only her, and much as she takes after her raging mother, I think it makes sense that it's gentle Jimmy who helps nudge her in the right direction while Maya is busy doting on JJ.

*- As confused as I was by it, after I rewatched both this ep and "Bonfire," I figured Jimmy's "idiocy" largely stemmed from his having a "live and let live" attitude (because he and Maya devote so much of their lives to JJ, nothing else really matters as long as the boy's needs are met and he continues to thrive) and wanting to keep others' expectations of him low; as for Dylan's jerkery, I assumed it was possible she's been watching her parents and trying to take after them but perhaps absorbing the wrong lessons, going too far and not understanding the whys behind what they do. 

Edited by GRChereck