Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Complications

purist

Swearengen is on the mend as Alma begins to take ill - mostly in the mornings. Cy is suspicious of Joanie and Maddie's operation, and makes an unexpected discovery about George Hearst's agent, Wolcott. Bullock attempts to control an outlaw mob and protect the Commissioner, who directed Merrick to print a provocative statement regarding gold claims.

Thank dog Al's back! Even though he looks really terrible with that bloodshot eye, he's as sharp and funny as ever. It was sweet when he acknowledged his 'boys' around the bed. I chuckled at Dan's adoring puppy-dog face, and this exchange:

Doc (to Al): How are you?

Al (looking at Dan): You fuck me while I was out?

Dan: Hell no!

Al: Then quit looking at me like that.

It was good to see Trixie and Alma becoming friends by the end of the episode. Lord knows the women in the camp need each other. I was sad to hear that Trixie had aborted seven (!) pregnancies of her own. No wonder she used to be on the dope. Does anyone know what childhood ailment would cause Alma to have difficulty in giving birth? I googled a bit but all I could find was that maybe she had a dislocated hip as a child, which could cause damage to the pelvis.

Trixie and Sol continue to be adorable. I loved Trixie saying, when she had finished working on the columns of figures, 'Let me work on your column now.' Hee!

Cy is just awful. I hate him so much. Good for Merrick not printing Commissioner Jarry's vague statement in the newspaper and instead posting it on his door. It took me a while to figure out why Cy was leaving Jarry to the mercy of the mob. Al said to Bullock that if that had happened, the blame would be put on Al, because Cy was 'in' with the Yankton c**********. Jane calling the locked-up Jarry 'frog-face' was excellent, as was this exchange:

Jarry: I'm thirsty.

Jane: Lie on your back, take aim and piss!

Cy was very intrigued when he learnt from Doris that Wolcott has some violent proclivities, but I wasn't sure what he meant when he said, 'Mr W ... Jesus Christ, can I be that fucken lucky?' Does he mean that if Wolcott kills one of Joanie's whores, the Chez Ami will have to close? He was pretty devious later, needling Wolcott about Wolcott's 'sound foundations' and telling him there was 'nothing rotten or damaged' in him. Wolcott looked quite discomfited by that.

You go, Miss Is! That Silas Adams is FINE. But why did she ask Adams to introduce her to Al?

I always enjoy seeing Franklin Ajaye on my TV, and he's terrific as the N***** General. He and Jane are hilarious together. It was nice to see Jane showing her talent for nursing again when she was cleaning him up after the tarring. That looked horribly painful.

Last but not least: funny old Richardson and the antler - yet another lovely detail I had forgotten and was delighted to rediscover.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 8:25 AM, purist said:

Does anyone know what childhood ailment would cause Alma to have difficulty in giving birth? I googled a bit but all I could find was that maybe she had a dislocated hip as a child, which could cause damage to the pelvis.

She may be bidelphysic...(2 uterus's...can also have a deviation in her vagina that leads to them. Persons who have such also can have 4 Fallopian tubes and 4 ovaries. Can be a compilation usually needing a C-section). Just a guess. If it was from a childhood illness as Doc said it could be a complication from her father having had intercourse with her at an early age causing scarring or infection. 

• Love 1