Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Jewel's Boot Is Made for Walking

Alma's father, Otis Russell, arrives from New York to "help" with her claim; Swearengen strikes a bargain with Adams to rid him of some legal baggage; Jewel journeys to Cochran's cabin for help with her leg; Utter hazards an opinion on the safety of Nuttal's saloon; Leon and Sawyer resume work at the Bella Union; Bullock is angered by the choice of a new sheriff; and Star winds up paying for a free service.

(edited)

Jewel's journey down the thoroughfare to Doc's was fantastic. She managed to stay dignified in the face of cruel taunts about her disability and falling into a hole and no one helping her up. As I'm sure everyone else did, I fell in love with Jewel for all time when she answered Al's question 'What was your purpose at Doc's?' with 'I'm knocked up' and that mischievous smile. Geri Jewell is brilliant in this role.

Loved Merrick literally dancing in the street when his new camera arrived.

Ugh, Otis Russell - calling Alma 'Button' (my dad used to call me that, but I was five years old at the time, not a grown woman) and being all inappropriate in his conversation after dinner with Clench. And speaking of the dinner, it was another hilarious display of pretension by EB. The food looked horrible. Richardson dressed up for his role as waiter in a top hat and gloves with a napkin over his arm was priceless. I enjoyed the scene with Alma and Sophia when Alma made her bitter observations about men deciding women's fates.

Dan, Johnny and EB being all jealous of Al's new BFF Silas Adams was wonderful to watch, as was EB saying in horror, when he saw how close Al and Adams were, 'I put him in the room above the privy!'

The conversation between Al and Tom Nuttall about the early days of the camp was interesting, and provided more context for the current state of Deadwood.

Aw, Sol and Trixie. Her slightly embarrassed 'Anyways, would ya want a free fuck?' was adorable, as was his reaction. Their subsequent fuck in the corner of the store was pretty hot.

Oh dear, poor Reverend Smith is getting worse and worse. The scenes where he was preaching to the oxen in the thoroughfare about circumcision, and then later to uninterested bystanders about angels, were pretty sad. Al watching him from above with tears in his eyes was very powerful. For some reason Al can't bear to see the reverend suffering.

McShane was fabulous in this episode - I wonder if it was submitted for his Emmy reel that year? Loved the scene when Al told Clench he would be 'all right' as sheriff (a rare moment of sincerity from Al). I guess he started drinking in the morning after his meeting with Adams (because talking about the warrant brought back painful memories of being abandoned by his mother and left at an orphanage), and then increased his alcohol intake after he found out about Trixie and Sol. By the end of the episode he was stinking drunk. I felt sorry for that young whore who had to 'suck his prick' - but somehow I doubt there will ever be a better scene in TV or film that involves a man talking about his sad past while he receives a blow job!

Edited by purist
  • Love 3