Type keyword(s) to search

Bourdain traverses big sky country and embraces Montana’s distinctive history and culture with a visit to Crow reservation to watch horse relay racing and feast on buffalo steak, pheasant hunting with podcast host Joe Rogan, dinner at Butte institution Lydia’s supper club (est 1946), and by going underground in the Orphan Boy Mine with state senator Jim Keane. A conversation with his friend, famed writer Jim Harrison, who passed away in March 2016, encapsulates the Montana experience.

This was a good episode. I enjoyed conversations about conservation, hunting, fishing, and man's relationship with land. This was one of the better hunting episodes as Tony managed to catch a fish and pheasant. It was also good that they highlighting mining, the fortune and failures of it. I really enjoyed the segment on the Natives and their horses. I could have watched for much longer. The Jim Harrison stuff was very poignant too.

• Love 1

Tony managed to catch a fish

Ha, I was waiting for him to mention how badly the fishing segments for the show always go. Maybe it's the boats that are the problem!

I don't live anywhere near Montana so the main thing I know about it is that the fishing is supposed to be amazing. It was really interesting to learn about the mines and the history of Butte. It cracked me up when someone from Montana was talking about the diversity due to immigration and then he listed a bunch of European countries. I noticed they said there used to be a Chinatown but based on what we during this episode, my guess is that there aren't a lot of Asian people left.

• Love 1

I agree, this was a good episode.  I've seen shows about Montana before, including "Aerial America" but this one was so much better.  It's startlingly beautiful and I LOVED the hunting scenes, seeing the hunting dogs doing their intended jobs.

• Love 1