Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Independent Lens

(edited)

Peace Officer - 05/09/16

A private investigator who once served as a sheriff in Utah were he helped form one of the state's first SWAT teams examines the militarization of American police forces in the wake of his son-in-law;s death in an officer involved shooting.

The sheer volume of force and weaponry used against the son-in-law was incomprehensible.  I was impressed by how thoroughly and methodically the father-in-law conducted his investigations.

It is frightening to consider that officers in plain clothes can break into your house in the middle of the night on nothing more than a tip from an "informant" and kill you if you're startled awake and grab a golf club to defend yourself from unknown intruders.

From 2010-2014, officer-involved shootings in Utah accounted for more deaths than drug and gang violence.  In 2014, Utah passed a bill to track the deployment of SWAT teams.  Currently no other states track or limit the use of SWAT teams.

ETA - Part 2 "The Armor of Light" airs tonight.

Edited by walnutqueen

Anyone know where to find old episodes? I am specifically looking for A Lion in the House, the episode about kids with terminal cancer. It's stuck with me all these years, and I want to see those kids again. It's the only documentary from the entire run of the show that I remember like yesterday. 

2 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Anyone know where to find old episodes? I am specifically looking for A Lion in the House, the episode about kids with terminal cancer. It's stuck with me all these years, and I want to see those kids again. It's the only documentary from the entire run of the show that I remember like yesterday. 

Try the official website : http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/search-results/?q=a lion in the house

• Love 1

I wish it was there. I looked a few months ago, and they only have supplemental information about the episode. Searched again, and it's not there now, either. Thanks for the suggestion, though! 

Just searched Netflix streaming, and it's not coming up there, either. Dammit.