Type keyword(s) to search

Roberta: Making Spinsters Around the Seven Realms Jealous

HighQueenEB

There's enough talk and discussion about Roberta in some of the episode threads that I decided she needed a topic of her own. 

I've made no secret that I'm not a fan of the character.  I think she's woefully under-developed, bland, and pretty uninteresting.  If we get a third season, I really hope the writers give Roberta some sort of back story that doesn't involve her being Richard's playmate when they were seven and thirteen respectively.  Please, please, please, tell me that she had a life, an adventurous one with some secrets and stories, in the thirty years or so since she and Richard played in the castle gardens.  Something to organically provide a story hook and dramatic tension instead of clunky conversations like the one she had with Galavant in "About Last Night" when she jumped right into denying she was in love with Richard and Galavant hadn't even gone there.  Ugh - that conversation was the worst. 

• Love 1

I agree Roberta could have had a better storyline in season 2, especially at the end. But I did like her and Richard together. And I did love her being the voice of reason in "Dwarves vs Giants". "Holy freaking cow, you're the SAME DAMN HEIGHT!"

• Love 2

In my hypothetical S3 head canon, Roberta's deep dark secret was that she is a black widow - she's left a string of dead husbands in her wake - and because she loves Richard truly, madly, deeply, she refuses to marry him, which means that they'll never have legitimate children to take over and rule the 7 realms, so ultimately, Richard turns his "land of wealth and stature" over to Izzy, because she is the most competent ruler around.