Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

So many things happening. CSL probably only debuted on the Hot 100 (#99) because of the album release. Might just stagnate around that number or even fall out of Billboards 100. The album is actually tracking well for second week sales. Not a dramatic drop for an a cappella band, 28k - 33k.

Has been estimated that PTX sold 2.6k albums from Cracker Barrel (#CrackerGate)

Walmart has an exclusive TCTM. Includes TCTM + PTXmas Deluxe (no deluxe tracks from TCTM).

Still climbing on radio charts. (Dropped a spot on POP radio).

AC: ^16 (18)
HAC: ^35 (38)
POP: - 44 (43)

• Love 1

The entire article is worth at least one focused read-through...even though it is not directly about PTX (yet, if ever): How Adele, Apple Music, and the Weeknd Robbed Drake of His First No. 1.

Big takeaways include:

• Whoever is in your single's (or album's) path to No. 1 doing something you and your team/fanbase don't respond to at all, or don't respond to fast enough.
  • Billboard, and Nielsen SoundScan, can only report on what data providers (such as music services) give them.
  • Timing is everything--especially when a major artist, like Adele, is ramping up efforts to satisfy about 4 yrs worth of pent-up demand with new music.
Edited by SrPab

I think this NYT review exemplifies well the Acappella/PTX conundrum well. 

It said as much and though it does sound a bit harsh, it's a food for thought

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/29/arts/music/review-straight-no-chaser-and-pentatonix-a-cappella-sounds.html?_r=0

The reviewer lamented the plasticness/roboticness sounds of PTX, and lauded the more traditional SNC sounds. 

But I wonder if PTX keeps to "Traditional" sounds, would it receive the Pop Mainstream recognition? In fact Can't Sleep Love is one of the the more traditional sounding songs in the album. The fact that he praises the Derulo collab shows that he does prefer the traditional sounds rather than pop.

The more PTX tries to find radio play (MAINSTREAM radio play), would it sound even more produced? (Yes, even us Pentaholics think that they have really cranked up their production level).

However, the reviewer forgets to mention, that however much the recording is produced, the 'traditional' sound (i.e. Analog sound) he's looking for will be avaible to him in concert.

Acappella, I suppose, is still something that can be better appreciated live on television/radio (to varying degrees of success, see PBS above), or in concert.  

I think this is also what currently cleaves the acappella world in two. 

Remember the time when there's a discussion of whether Acappella should be it's own genre in the Grammy's (like Country, Jazz, Classical Music, with Best Acappella Award of the Year), or it should be integrated into the mainstream (no Best Acappella, just Album/Song of the Year).

(on this, I think they should just do both, a la Taylor Swift winning Best Country and Album of the Year)

http://acappellaquest.blogspot.co.id/2015/02/pentatonix-wins-grammy.html

BACK TO PENTATONIX THE ALBUM (Because I'm still stanning and obsessing over it). 

when PTX said "we're very different people with very different musical tastes" is really reflected in their album. 

There are some, like the reviewer above, who only likes "traditional" sounds, and like If I ever Fall in Love, Light in the hallway, Take me home. There are some that doesn't like the datedness of IIEFIL and TMH. 

There are some that practically lives off CSL, and some who wishes it off the album, 

etc.

The interesting thing for me is I've read so many reviews by now that if they mention that they dislike song A, B, and C (because of this and that reason) off the album, they're most likely to preface it or close it by saying that they love absolutely love songs X, Y, and Z (because or... reasons) off the album and wishes to have more of it in PTX's future album. The reverse is also true. And more amusingly, the reasons offered are almost exactly the same, but one set of music and one set or reasons is a plus for certain people while the other is a downer. 

So I think that Pentatonix the Album is very eclectic, but it also represents the conundrum of acappella categorization even more. Is it pop? rock (Fork)? country (Home Free)? etc etc. 

Edited by debbydeb

That reviewer shows both his bias, and his bad taste, in a few places.

Firstly, I can't give any credence to someone who actually thinks Jason Derulo's performance "stands out for its warmth and emotional expression". Oh come on. Derulo's take is one of the few things most of us roundly criticized on the album (other than me thinking CSL--at least as released vs. the much superior live versions they've been doing--is also a poor track). The Derulo song is boring and generic pop candy of the worst sort but it's this reviewer's FAVORITE bit?  Good lord. 

I won't diss Straight No Chaser in any huge way other than to say it's also insane to act like what they're doing is somehow a better representation of a capella. A more boring traditional one, sure. But again this reviewer is oddly injecting the opinion that what they're doing is somehow more emotional honest (the writer communicates this with the phrase "vibrantly warmblooded")? No. A weakness of classic a capella frankly is that it's NOT very authentic emotionally. It can be fun to hear, or trippy, or nostalgic, but "vibrantly warmblooded"?  Give me a break.

This whole acting like PTX are "robots" or "plastic", and making cheap jokes about that, wasn't invented by this reviewer. It started I recall with some lower profile reviews and some net trolling. It just seems like the Times music reviewer reads that stuff and retained the imagery in his head.

They're going to get bad reviews, and it's not surprising this album got some. It's no grand slam of an album, as much as there are pieces of brilliance on it in parts. But the WAY they're criticized is so odd sometimes. It's not about the effectiveness or writing of the songs. It's not usually about the vocal quality or harmonies or even the production. It's vague cheap shots usually, like "robotic" or "plastic", which I suppose you could argue is about the production or vocals, but... it really seems sometimes it's more about the reviewers having some image stuck in their minds of college geeks standing in a line singing vaguely doo-wopish instrumentless versions of songs, and obsessing about how this isn't that.

• Love 3

Subjective tastes/preferences is so subjective...

Those of us who post/lurk here ostensibly like, if not love, PTX's sound, correct? Surely it doesn't mean we prefer robotic-ness or plastic-ness in the music we listen to? Granted, the bulk of PTX's discography is uptempo pop with EDM influences--and heavy on beatboxing and bass. Here's the thing, though, for me: I don't listen to EDM music, for the most part. But I can appreciate and jam out to how PTX incorporates EDM-like sounds into their arrangements.

Speaking only for myself, I get warmth and heart from songs like Water, Misbehavin', Light In The Hallway, Run To You, etc. If others don't, so be it. But sweeping generalizations of PTX not being able to convey warmth at all rankle me.

These kinds of reviews/assessments are to be expected. With all the recent attention contemporary a cappella has gotten, and with cultural totems like the PP movies and PTX, so many more people are being exposed to a cappella music that is unlike what their fathers and mothers knew growing up. I'll give the reviewer the tiniest bit of credit for at least knowing who SNC are--but that's all he gets.

You know what else rankles: back-handed compliments...damning with faint praise...liking some quality exhibited by group X while disliking that same quality exhibited by group Y (which leads to me being confused). But these are part of the growing pains this art form will go through.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 3

My big issue with that NY Times review is that I don't think the album should be reviewed as an 'acappella' album at all. PTX made a pop album full of songs intended to attract mainstream radio play. Coming into it thinking of it as an 'acappella' album brings a whole bunch of preconceived notions about what an acappella album SHOULD sound like and that ends up influencing their reactions when the songs don't fit that mold.

I just wish they would review it as a pop album that happens to be acappella, or just leave out the acappella part all together and just focus on the songs.

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 6

I recorded the PBS Newshour ep overnight and just finished watching it. Gotta love commercial-free PBS! We got a lot longer segment than is standard, including an extended quote from all five, at a minimum, clips of several vidoes and the Sing Off, and even clips from the doc. Nothing new for us fans, but overall, a decent introduction to the group for the much different demographic watching the Newshour.

• Love 1

Even since Sing Off, what grabbed peoples' attention about PTX (well, mine anyway) was that they were never really traditional a cappella.  Their assessment of themselves is that they are pop (well, a vocal band) and their vehicle of delivery is a cappella.  The thing about the Sing Off was that it was an a cappella competition so whatever anyone was, they had to bracket it within the a cappella format.  Some groups had a little trouble with this:  AfroBlue comes to mind, and Sonos.  At the beginning I don't think PTX  exactly knew what they were.  They knew they were some kind of BEAST but not what scientific classification of beast.

I think that this is what is sticking in the craw of the traditional a cappella-ists.  Doggone it, if a cappella is going to go mainstream, they want it to be traditional a cappella (and from what I've read on here they consider PTX the red-headed a cappella stepchild).  Don't mean to harsh their vibe, but I don't ever, never, at all (did I say nah-ah) think this is going to happen.  A cappella is not pop and pop is not a cappella.  Maybe there should be an a cappella classification all it's own.  The "purists"  just want those danged kids to get off their lawn.

We're in the era of pop. So be it.  Reviewing the PTX album as if they are a travesty of a cappella makes the NYT reviewer guilty of bad taste ("indistinct plasticity of Scott Hoying's voice".........I GOT your indistinct plasticity) and wishful thinking.......and the son of a she camel.  As was the PBS interviewer.  Is he seriously questioning AVI?!?!??! about humility........of anything?  I WILL machine gun his geraniums and you can take that to the bank.  And he mispronounced Kevin's name AND he did not fact check.  Cow.

---------------------------------

And now for something completely different.  Avi does not need to worry about acquiring the power of mind control.  His rendition of Light In The Hallway had me sobbing like somebody killed my dog.  And based on the reaction videos, there are a lot of verklempt people out there.  Bad Avi.

Edited by Geeze
  • Love 2

Oh goody. A whole audience who doesn't give a crap about them or their music (and who if they COULD be turned towards a capella would of course listen to Home Free sooner than PTX.

• Love 1

In case none of you heard it, I just banged my head a few times on my desk top. But PTX is only presenting at CMA, not performing--so, yay? You know what, I'm choosing to think positively about this in that it is another tv appearance for them with a viewing audience of several million. Just getting their name announced may cause a few of the viewers to check them out--and some of them may come back for more.

I know there are a number of Pentaholics who like Home Free, and I assume that some Home Fries like PTX. If this is someone's big idea of introducing a cappella to Country music fans, well, this is one way to go about it. Another way would have been to get Home Free, an actual Country a cappella group, to present.

And you just know that any number of Home Fries are either scratching their heads in befuddlement, or breathing fire at the indignity of it all. Some people may consider this two insults for the price of one.

ETA: I just checked and Home Free has a show in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on 11/4. They're in Missoula, MT, on 11/3 and Regina, Saskatchewan, on 11/6.

Edited by SrPab

The shame of it all is that Home Free succeeding in mainstream country wouldn't "hurt" Pentatonix's market position in the least. Another pop oriented a capella group might, but Country Radio and album buying is a whole alternate universe that barely touches on mainstream pop at all. So to me, any PTX fan who doesn't outright hate country, should be okay with Home Free (and if they like them even a little, support them).

• Love 1

Let's say Home Free doesn't exist (no, I'm not making a joke at their expense). What's the thinking behind getting an(y) a cappella group to present at CMA? If HF was first choice but couldn't make it due to tour commitments, fine. But why hang on to the idea of having an a cappella group present regardless? Although, if HF was never even considered, availability or not, what does that say about how they're regarded in the Country music space?

I love PTX but let's be real. They are not going to cause a huge ratings spike (unless it comes from a place of viewer outrage). Their name will be mentioned...and most in the audience will go "Huh?" or yawn.

Edited by SrPab

I dunno.  I don't think music fans are monolithic in their preferred genre to the extent that they might not have heard of PTX or dislike a cappella or pop for that matter.  If I like what it sounds like, I like it.  And these days, there is a lot of crossover (Taylor Swift).  I think they may make it out alive.

• Love 1

They'll be fine...but I think there could be at least one meme-able gif of a reaction shot taken of someone in the auditorium with a quizzical look on his face when PTX is mentioned.

And my angle isn't one of dislike; it is one of confusion. There will be people watching the broadcast in their living rooms genuinely puzzled ("What's a Pentatonix?"). There will also be those who know who Pentatonix is--but either shaking their heads or gnashing their teeth as to why it's not Home Free presenting. And then there will be those who'll think "Alpaca" or "Acapulco".

Or perhaps I've underestimated the number of people who are PTX fans AND Country fans who'll be happy or surprised to see them at this event. I suspect most viewers will be indifferent to this and just roll with it--but may still question the why of it all.

Edited by SrPab

"A capella vocal group Pentatonix may also sing as they present their category..." - WinCountry

Crossover promo. They ask you, opportunity for the taking, take it. (Plus a few of their friends would probably die from meeting Carrie Underwood)

At some Sony Music Germany event they sang the hit song, "Locked Away" with R. City. Not bad. (Cannot with the bloody Periscope videos. They have the option to go landscape and everyone still films vertically. Why?!)

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff
  • Love 1

Think it's expired but Hassan periscoped the DVD extras. It included, Tour Wardrobe, a Toronto extended scene? A cake scene. TCTM live, a different OMWH video and a GAG REEL. Was really funny. Hopefully they'll release this #soon. Japan will be selling this separately in November, maybe they'll do the same here. Whoever finally got it onto Netflix. Smart. So many people are discovering their documentary and if your a casual fan, could totally get you to buy their stuff. Inspiring story is basically what people have been saying. The film is currently being distributed by "The Orchard" so hopefully a DVD soon.

• Love 2

Regarding the NYT and other reviews:  The reason Pentatonix won the Sing Off was because they expanded the boundaries of a cappella music, and sounded like they were "from the future..."  Expectations of a traditional collegiate a cappella sound means the reviewers don't understand the group.  On the other hand, I wonder if they worked a little too hard to find songs that could be hits which is why some people think the sound is over-produced.  But, live in concert, they can pretty much recreate the recorded performances - that is what has always amazed me about their live shows, and why I really like their spontaneous or unmic'ed songs.

Other reviewers have complained about cheesy lyrics - but then one reviewer thinks that about Sing, while another reviewer thinks that about another song, so I agree with DebbyDeb about the album being very eclectic and a conundrum. 

• Love 1

Regarding that NYT album review comparing/contrasting SNC's and PTX's latest releases, a cappella insiders have been weighing in on this FB thread. The comments are, by and large, illuminating.

After all the 'heated' and other discussions, 

scrolling down, 

Kevin came and became a voice of reason. (in the Any News is Good News way.)

• Love 1

And was Scott delusionally optimistic with his comment? ;-)

I think the album is as eclectic as it is because the five of them have varied musical influences and tastes themselves. However, one of Ed Boyer's replies particularly interested me. He talks about certain meetings and how PTX is threading a needle with their sound. Also, Kuk Harrell produced the entire album so some of his musical idiosyncrasies are probably on it, too.

But I tend to side with Deke in the sense that a song like CSL rates high with me because of the nostalgia I get from listening to it. I am predisposed to liking similar-sounding songs (or that have similar sonic sensibilities). Having said that, songs like To The River and First Things First are also some of my other faves from the album--and they're different than CSL. Which means I'm responding well to them for different reasons.

Oh, another thing: PTX recorded/produced vs PTX live...some listeners/fans may be hearing a marked contrast and it's not sitting well with them. The relative "rawness", if you will, of their live sound may be what some expect/demand to hear on their recordings.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

When is their episode of The Muppets airing? Both that and the CMAs air on ABC, so maybe their CMA appearance (if it happens before their Muppets ep) is tied to promoting it. Possible explanation for the weird match-up.

@ptxnewsandstuff, thank you for posting the KIIS FM recording.

I just gotten round to listening to it. I had half a mind not to, because _same old songs_, but am Glad I Did. 

Whoever did the sound should be hired on the spot and lugged around with PTX for the whole of their media tour. 

(Or maybe it's their own sound guy and/or KIIS has a good acoustic set up from the get go... some radio and TV studios are just not equipped--personnel wise and hardware wise)

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

Just had a first listen to all the new Christmas tracks...I'm immediately drawn to Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

GirlvsTV, I took a quick look around but didn't come across anything regarding the air date of PTX's Muppets appearance.

bjork, you called it: Just For Now is an Imogen Heap cover.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

Regarding that NYT album review comparing/contrasting SNC's and PTX's latest releases, a cappella insiders have been weighing in on this FB thread. The comments are, by and large, illuminating.

Yep, the conversation illuminates that the forum members here are pretty insightful.

Several other things:

The only bad publicity or perhaps public dialogue about a cappella is NO publicity/dialogue.

The reviewer sang in a college a cappella group himself (imho he should have given us that little nugget of perspective).

Pretty much everyone agrees that PTX has their sights set on a different horizon

Johnathan(sp) Kalter suggested a #ruthlessly savvy t-shirt merch idea to Scott which I would buy in a heartbeat but would go one further with one I've mentioned before PTX:  A Cappella Thug Life.  I would buy that faster.

-----------------------------------------------

And upon cooling down and upon further reflection, I apologize for any aspersions cast on the reviewer's parentage.  I'm sure she is not a she camel and I'm pretty sure the PBS guy is not a cow.......marginally sure anyway.

Edited by Geeze
  • Love 2

Was just rereading the FB thread because I missed the T-shirt comment.

Btw, seems like PTX has a fighter in their corner in Jonathan Kalter: "also, ed, please don't let anyone think being on the phone with me is something they might ever want to experience. i have a hard enough time keeping it civil for you and ben."

Yes the PTX are savvy kids, but I think half of their bookings and half of the extra treatment they get (eg the Massive "let us promo you in our description boxes" from MTV, Jimmy Fallon, Sesame Street--until today, I don't see other acts having "here's where u can buy Pentatonix album" in CAPS and goes on for lines on Fallon)

look at the desc box here:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3sb7ADFYIrI

then look at the desc box of the other Fallon vids (the other two pentatonix vids that precededCSL didn't have the promo too, but i guess Jonathan came through and won one for the team)

come from the management team like Jonathan and Esther.

They're scarily efficient!

Edited by debbydeb

I'm listening to the new Xmas tracks now. Initial impression:

Joy to the World--along the lines of Angels We Have Heard on High, in that everyone gets a verse (except for Kevin) and pops up a relatively uptempo classic. Not bad and will definitely be on my Xmas tree-decorating soundtrack.

Just for Now--I love the Heap covers! However, Mitch's falsetto in the beginning just gets on my nerves a bit for some reason. Maybe it goes on for too long? I like the song a lot more as it progresses as soon as he drops out of the falsetto range.

The First Noel--a song that has always been in my second tier of carols, but I looooove this version! Very pretty and features their harmonies excellently.

Have Yourself a Merry Christmas--this is one of my favorite ballads of all time, and I am very disappointed that they popped it up. It is a sad song and they've stripped out that aspect. Bummer.

Mary Did You Know?--adding strings didn't do much beyond please the RCA head honcho who thinks that doing so might make PTX more viable. Blah.

• Love 1

Here's Ed Boyer's full quote (which was a reply to another commenter):

I'll say this: trying to thread the needle of pleasing an existing fan base while appealing to a new and very different one of this magnitude is hard for anyone and doubly hard for a group operating in a genre/style/instrumentation/whatever where there's no road map yet everyone carries around a notion of what you're *supposed* to be.

If you could be in the meetings and on the phone calls where the group navigates that gauntlet and weights the pressures coming at them from a million directions (fans, label, management, songwriters, producers, radio powers-that-be) you'd be impressed by how deftly they do it and how they balance their own intuition with advice from the biggest suits and the smallest fans. Maybe it's an imperfect product, but it's certainly a good start, especially if you consider the potential for failure in a venture like this. They're a smart group and, as long as they're backed, they'll continue to climb.

And I agree that people on Team PTX like their manager (Jonathan Kalter), their CAA representation for bookings and publicity, and Esther Kaplan are fully committed to this venture.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

Yes the PTX are savvy kids, but I think half of their bookings and half of the extra treatment they get (eg the Massive "let us promo you in our description boxes" from MTV, Jimmy Fallon, Sesame Street--until today, I don't see other acts having "here's where u can buy Pentatonix album" in CAPS and goes on for lines on Fallon)

look at the desc box here:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3sb7ADFYIrI

then look at the desc box of the other Fallon vids (the other two pentatonix vids that precededCSL didn't have the promo too, but i guess Jonathan came through and won one for the team)

come from the management team like Jonathan and Esther.

They're scarily efficient!

I think Avi and Kevin may have as much to do with that as Esther and Jonathan. Early on they realized the benefit of building the stats on their YouTube channel, so they insisted as part of their base agreement with people to redirect there. Where many acts may have stupid riders about having fresh raspberries in the green room, or foot massagers, PTX had "redirect people back to our YouTube channel (or eventually to PTXOfficial.com). Their management has grabbed onto that hard though and run with it.

• Love 1

I'm listening to the new Xmas tracks now. Initial impression:

Joy to the World--along the lines of Angels We Have Heard on High, in that everyone gets a verse (except for Kevin) and pops up a relatively uptempo classic. Not bad and will definitely be on my Xmas tree-decorating soundtrack.

Just for Now--I love the Heap covers! However, Mitch's falsetto in the beginning just gets on my nerves a bit for some reason. Maybe it goes on for too long? I like the song a lot more as it progresses as soon as he drops out of the falsetto range.

The First Noel--a song that has always been in my second tier of carols, but I looooove this version! Very pretty and features their harmonies excellently.

Have Yourself a Merry Christmas--this is one of my favorite ballads of all time, and I am very disappointed that they popped it up. It is a sad song and they've stripped out that aspect. Bummer.

Mary Did You Know?--adding strings didn't do much beyond please the RCA head honcho who thinks that doing so might make PTX more viable. Blah.

You pretty much written what I thought :D bummer for the HYAMC too. The only cover I don't like by them bar none. But maybe it'll grow on me? (asked the Pentaholic with hope)

In the most part, I they are very good at capturing the moods and the sense of the song. Especially in The First Noel's last third half, starting at around 2:30 or thereabouts (Kirstie's rising notes followed by Avi's lead with rising notes--whatever it is they're called).

Reminded me of those trailer songs, the lead up before 2.30 is like Confidential Music's Unashamed (for Unbroken) and after the 2:30 mark XRay Dog's Return of the King (for LOTR).

At first listen I thought it was going a bit like their Little Drummer Boy meets Mary Did You Know, but then I realized that LDR even with the marching rhythm is a bit more subdued (it's a child drummer anyway) and MDYK is a bit more chasey and awed in tone (a young mother welcoming a son who has great things stored for him), while TFN is positively regal (it's welcoming a King), especially the juxtaposition of Kirstie's then Avi's rising note.

Kirstie's can be representative of how perhaps the chamberwomen would be happy to welcome a prince, a lot of warmth in their exclamation (i imagine like Kate Middleton and mom welcoming George the son into the world), but Avi's rising note has more gravitas, like a court trumpet and 21 gun salute for George the Crown Prince much like the Simba birth scene hahahaha

Or Pentatonix's journey.

I'm sure that LDR, MDYK, and TFN can also be used to see how their arranging abilities and production values have evolved throughout the years.

Meanwhile, I'm also not fond of the strings, it looks like a very tacked on oh well we have to do it kind of thing

But i'm glad that they scaled back the arrangement back and made the string section less stringy and more choiry.

I was worried at first that it's going to be one of those weepy string things with long chord/note holds ala Schindler's List violin piece. and drown the 'rawness' of all vocal MDYK.

but nooo they did well. Better than I thought they would do.

you can really imagine they can be easily replaced by a school choir or something.

well done Ben Bram, Kev, who else?

I think Avi and Kevin may have as much to do with that as Esther and Jonathan. Early on they realized the benefit of building the stats on their YouTube channel, so they insisted as part of their base agreement with people to redirect there. Where many acts may have stupid riders about having fresh raspberries in the green room, or foot massagers, PTX had "redirect people back to our YouTube channel (or eventually to PTXOfficial.com). Their management has grabbed onto that hard though and run with it.

Avi and Kevin came up with it? I learned something really fascinating today! Damn the meats and potatoes are SHARP AF (as the kids say) Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

HITS Daily Double has them at 5th for pure album sales and 9th for sales plus streaming. Nice!

I have high hopes that this means a gentle, gradual glide down the chart over the next few months--instead of a free-fall by Thanksgiving. This would be bolstered by a mutually reinforcing halo effect with TCTM Deluxe.

ETA: Anyone want to speculate how many videos they'll release, say, from next week to mid-December? Anyone want to further speculate on the ratio between Pentatonix vids vs TCTM Deluxe vids? I'll lead off: 1 vid from Pentatonix vs 3 vids from TCTM Deluxe. (And perhaps push out a vid for New Year's Day just before year-end.)

Edited by SrPab

It's Saturday, time to think about my favorite band!  I am psyched about watching the new interactive video.  I love the concept -- I've often wanted something like that.  I think it's a brilliant move, because who else can offer that kind of entertainment?

I have to reply to the bit about the CMA's:

I love PTX but let's be real. They are not going to cause a huge ratings spike (unless it comes from a place of viewer outrage). Their name will be mentioned...and most in the audience will go "Huh?" or yawn.

I did not grow up with Country, and I can only speak for myself, anyway.  But I have listened to new country because it's popular around here and there are many songs I enjoy, and I have come to admire the country star/country fandom relationship.  It's incredibly warm, and very much like the PTX relationship, to be honest.  I don't see any reason to think there would be viewer outrage, boredom, or cluelessness.  In fact, I went to the Kelly Clarkson/PTX concert in Nashville (for PTX, of course), and they were incredibly well received - as many fans who were enthusiastic and knew their songs and loved them as anywhere else I've seen them. 

I think they will be very well received at the CMAs.  And, at the risk of sounding a little miffed, country fans know how to appreciate voices.  Country music, for better or worse, sounds a lot less messed with than other kinds of music.  (ETA:  And I'd put Patsy Cline against anyone.)

Anyway, I'm with Geeze.  I know what I like, and I think PTX has appeal across a wide swath of musical tastes --- as we have seen.

While I'm thinking about it, someone mentioned they liked the "one too many, two too many ..." progression in Misbehavin'.  That lyrical trick is a pretty old one in country, which has quite a few good time drinking songs.  (I'll post again when I remember them.)

I don't listen to EDM music, for the most part. But I can appreciate and jam out to how PTX incorporates EDM-like sounds into their arrangements.

Me too!  I thought EDM was the characterization that PTX originally described when they went on The Sing-Off.  (or maybe it was just Mitch?)  In any case, I love it when they do this, and they do it really, really well. 

I am not a fan of Straight No Chaser.  For whatever reason, I always think of that BYU group from The Sing Off as doing that kind of music much better.  (Of course, there are lots more of the BYU kids.)  (ETA: BYU's group was Vocal Point.)

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

Oh, no problem, SrPab.  I mainly thought I'd speak up because, every now and then, I think people (in general) may have some (maybe outdated?) stereotypes about people who like country music.  (In particular, this is pervasive in the Voice forum here.)  It's true that a lot of country fans seem passionately devoted, but I don't think that means they're closed minded.  In other words, not unlike Pentaholics!

I think I've calmed down enough to write a < 10,000 word post about the new album.  :)  I'll just refer to Kromm's longer review where I agree.

I love the energy of opening with Na Na Na, and I think Mitch might deliver the strongest leads on the entire album.  I get that they are going for an upbeat mass appeal here, and the rousing background sounds great.

Can't Sleep Love - I'll be honest, I didn't like it when it first came out, and I've decided I was largely influenced by not liking the video too much and the gimmick of the "Uh huh" and the "Yeah"s.  But I've gotten used to it and have become more fond of it by now.  I think Kirsti and Avi and Mitch sound fantastic on this track.  The more I hear it without watching it, the better it gets.

Sing is a crazy, high energy song that I think has all the makings of lasting decades.  I think this one's a hit, and I love it, although it sounds a bit commercial to me.  But I love it.  Kevin's reggae-ish rap riff thing sounds great.  (No, I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Misbehavin' is a gem, my favorite on the album after a week's play, usurping Ref.  Oh my goodness, I love everything about this song, including Scott's lead.

Ref and First Things First are a wonderful change of pace and I am really glad they do this kind of music, because I think this is where they are really unique.

I don't like Cracked on the album and think Scott is sort of weak here.  I like it a lot on those live clips, though.  I'm amazed at how much I'm liking the rest of the group more, when I'm usually all about Scott.

I'm tired of Rose Gold, but I thought it was really well done as an exercise.

The less said about Jason Derulo, the better.  WHy?

Hmm.  Ran out of time.  Part 2 later.

• Love 1

I hope that with Derulo's ivolvement, they'd be able do something with SYTYCD. Not tv spot promo or anything, but for the live concerts.

Wouldn't it be nice to have dancers on stage when they sing (I think they're great vocalists and singers, but I can live without their dancing actually).

Apparently, the dancers and choreographers in CSL have SYTYCD connections?

Then also invite school choirs for the big songs (like that time they had... can't remember, the kids from S4 of the sing off).

Just something different for their stage shows. I'm not saying like pyrotechnics or dancing shark type shows, but something that brings singing excellence with dancing excellence.

Or whatever, didn't have to be dancers ala SYTYCD. it can even be other talents, impromptu painters, like that sand painter or muralists, etc. Something that's great.

Edited by debbydeb