Type keyword(s) to search

Sarah's Marathon Diary: 'This Is Why, A Lot Of Times, We Do A Rehearsal'

Just wrapped S1 myself--for the first time--and it's certainly all Sarah says it is. Right down to the absolutely rushed wrap-up. Also noted: the positivity they managed to find at Sundance and the everybody-really-loved-each-other wrap-up. Really? Now dare I subject myself to the actual movie?

Filmmaking Reminder #1 - DP's do not give a Fuck about time, and will take over your movie if you let them.

As for the show I've been wanting to rewatch since I heard they were making a new season but couldn't find my DVDs. So, the second I read here the first two were finally on HBOGo I started watching. It was a bit frightening how old a 15 year old reality show looked, but still absolutely fascinating.

I think most of the blame for the outcome goes to everyone that picked a cheesy Sunday School script and were surprised when that's what they got.

The rest of the problems could have been avoided if the on-set producers (basically Pat and Jeff) had been empowered to say, "no." The first day the Petes fuck around with no shot list, you tell me they don't get to shoot the next day without one. When Jones decides to shoot baseball in the rain, you tell him you're moving the company to the cover set. Unless it's his money, the director is not God, they people paying for it (and their representatives) are. When the DP orders a 20ft crane and platforms to go in the lake, you tell him to get a ladder and find a way to deal with it.

But, that wouldn't provide as much drama. It was pretty clear Chris Moore & the other executives decided before hand to let Pete Jones have WAY more control than a first time director would get in that situation w/o the reality show. They knew he'd screw up. They knew it would make for good TV. They probably knew the movies was likely to suck.

Finally, I completely agree with Sarah the movie would simply not have been made w/o the 1st AD. I'd kill to read a nightly diary documenting his experience for that month.

Edited by FastLou
  • Love 1