Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Stalag 14th Virginia

That's not what happened in the episode. It was Weaver who saved the day. If your criticism hinges on something that didn't happen, it makes some of us think you've not discovered what's really bothering you.

You missed my point. Let's take it piece by piece.

Weaver was the hero because he had a relationship with the possessed/clone commander and she (inexplicably, eventually) didn't throw him in jail as well. He was, by default, the only member of the gang who *could* do anything. He took the actions that saved the day, and was the person with the balls to take down the commander. Weaver is my favorite character on this show and, as I have been posting for a couple of years now, should have been the leader that the show tries to make Tom Mason into.

My point was that even after all of what I just wrote, this episode tried to *portray* MASON in the hero role. MASON was the only member of the gang to pull off an escape. MASON returned trumphantly with help. MASON gets to give the hero speech to the assembled survicors. MASON pulls Cochise out of the truck and essentially gives him a hug, showing how we need to be allies.

Weaver was silent. His actions, barely noted. Yes, he saved them. But that wasn't the focus at the end of the episode. because it can only ever focus on Tom Mason - and that includes writing Pope stupidly in order to provide a counterpoint to what they keep doing with Mason.

Maybe that helps you understand my point better.

Unfortunately, coupled with the total misrepresentation of the last episode you offered as an example, really sounds more like resentment that Pope isn't the hero.

It's a TV show. My only perspective is whether the show is more enjoyable or less enjoyable due to its plot, characterization and "logic," for lack of a better word. Pope doesn't have to be a hero. They could shoot him now and that would be OK with me (heck, that goes for Mason, as well!). But what they have done to Pope's character, and what they continually keep trying to do for Mason's character, has made this show immeasurably worse.

Edited by Ottis
sjohnson
Back when Pope was allegedly the reasonable alternative to the Masons, he presided over gang rapes, not fight club. He wasn't the thoughtful critic of strategy, he was the berserker.

Pope never presided over gang rapes, or engaged in any rapes. What happened was that Maggie willingly joined Pope's gang sometime between when the Esh first landed and the post-invasion. His brother and his brother's friend Cueball were the ones who raped her but she never told Pope what was going on and he wasn't aware of it either. The Berserkers were part of the 2nd Mass and that was the name they gave themselves. IMO, it seems a bit typical when you are going to name a fighting group. You are going to pick a name that would a) sound cool, b) a name that would strike fear into your enemies and c) a name you can be proud of. In real life, berserkers were ancient Viking warriors that were said to fight in a trace like furriness and uncontrollable fit of rage. 

Ottis

this episode tried to *portray* MASON in the hero role. MASON was the only member of the gang to pull off an escape. MASON returned trumphantly with help. MASON gets to give the hero speech to the assembled survicors. MASON pulls Cochise out of the truck and essentially gives him a hug, showing how we need to be allies.

Weaver was silent. His actions, barely noted. Yes, he saved them. But that wasn't the focus at the end of the episode. because it can only ever focus on Tom Mason - and that includes writing Pope stupidly in order to provide a counterpoint to what they keep doing with Mason.

IMO, this has been the problem in about every episode of Falling Skies. Although, in this season it has really cranked it up to a point where anyone with the nerve  to criticized or questioned Mason has to be evil, or crazy. 

Another aspect is that Wever always played  second fiddle with Mason but then again, they have always portrayed him as loyal. 

Edited by TVSpectator

the 2nd Mass just randomly finds the 14th Virginia who are coincidentally lead by Weaver's old flame and that the 14th are evil because.... I really don't know.

For those of you who may be Civil War buffs, it is interesting to note that the 14th Virginia was originally a unit from the Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War. Among its engagements, it fought at the battle of Gettysburg. The 2nd Massachussetts (Civil War Regiment, Army of the Potomac) also fought at Gettysburg - although was not in direct combat with the 14th Virginia (the 2nd Mass was on Culp's Hill, whereas the 14th VA was located on another part of the battlefield). Aside from the title of this episode, I think the historical references to the Civil War allude to how we, as humans, are our own worst weapon, regardless of why the aliens came to the planet.