Type keyword(s) to search

Jason Roy: Checked Out

Okay, so I could also have used "Cashiered" to refer to Jason's former job, his having been fired from that job, and his having been evicted from the BB house, but I thought I'd also refer to what I find to have been rather lazy game play on the part of Jason and his Week 1 alliance (briefly named "The High Rollers").

After having a successful first boot with Jace, it's as though Jason and his group just assumed that the other planned boots (Audrey, Austin, Liz, Steve) would follow by osmosis or something, and didn't actually feel a need to plan strategy or reach out to perceived-neutral players such as Vanessa.  A whole lot of "we agree on a target and everybody votes with the House, that's how this game is played, right?", leading to "We're getting rid of Audrey this week…what?", "Well, we're getting rid of Audrey this week, then…huh?", "Okay we're definitely getting rid of Audrey this week, right?  At last." and "We're getting rid of Austin this week…oh, Mylanta™!" on Jason's part, where his game had the potential to be so much more.  I wasn't a fan of his, anyhow, so I was somewhat glad, but still.

What's interesting is that while Jace was a total airhead, the other players that the High Rollers excluded and planned to boot were some of the most…well, "intelligent" is over-broad and there are various types of social and strategic intelligence that are useful in the game, but certainly the more-intellectual and more academically-accomplished side of the house.  Austin has a Master's degree (in a useless field, but still), Liz is a cum laude graduate, Steve is studying engineering at an Ivy League school (although he's taken a temporary transfer to Fredonia State to preserve his academic status while he's away on BB), and Vanessa has a very high IQ and graduated from Duke.   (John, with his doctorate, was not a target, but he wasn't in Jason's group, either.)  I don't want to get all snobby, but maybe the stockboy could have used advice from someone a little sharper than Meg, I'm just saying.

That said, I do have great sympathy for Jason.  He said on BBAD the one of his friends had jokingly predicted that he would get booted the week after he got fired for using up all his vacation time at the supermarket, and sadly he was right.  And now he's missed out on Jury, and for all the scorn that people get on various boards for saying "I just want to make it to Jury", apart from the disingenuous purpose that line usually serves, making Jury does make a big financial difference if you're living paycheck-to-paycheck.  This week's (non-jury) evictee will make only half in stipend money of what the Jury members will.  It probably won't make a big difference to Shelli (if she goes this week)…but it would make a huge difference to Jason, I'm sure.  Even if he didn't choose to leave his mom's basement or Swansea, I'm sure the extra cushion in his bank account would have made a difference.

(I wonder if Jason's supermarket was union or not?  The UFCW [united Food and Commercial Workers] doesn't have the world's greatest record for looking after its members who get fired, I'm told, but it's still worth a try.  Particularly if Jason could have gotten unpaid leave of some kind…except that Big Brother doesn't let you tell anybody you're going to be on the show.)

Which, I suppose, ties into the gameplay; if Jason and his allies were mostly concerned about reaching Jury before making any moves, then there was more impetus for them to find common cause and consensus targets rather than doing anything would imperil their game early on.  Which, as it turned out, imperiled their games.  "Irony's kind of ironic that way," and so on.

Edited by DAngelus
(edited)

Catching up on the Feeds thread and I almost want to take back the sympathy I expressed for Jason, above:

Steve walked by, and Jason said, "I said I didn't want to be stuck in the jury house with him!  SILVER LINING!"

Uh…yeah.  Have fun in Swansea, kid.

(For those who don't know, Swansea isn't anywhere near Boston. It's next to Fall River, a depressing and depressed mill town set by the Rhode Island border.  Fall River was where the killer in Ira Levin's brilliant A Kiss Before Dying comes from.  Apparently it hasn't gotten any better in the 65 years since "Uncle Ira" [my dad knew him] wrote about it.)

Edited by DAngelus

This house might have the highest average IQ of all time.

Jason's gameplay reminded me of a spider in a web, sitting there waiting for the victims to come to him, rather than actively strategizing.

I hope that getting fired from the supermarket is the impetus he needs to figure out what he wants to do with the rest of his life. It would be one thing if he enjoyed the supermarket work enough to enable him to do more fulfilling things away from work, but he hated it. He seems smart enough to get a degree.

• Love 1

Has earned my ire this year not only for his disgusting comments about Shelby, but also for resurrecting my least-liked feature about BB, the "smokers' couch".  Yes, it's just lovely that the cancer-suckers get the unfair advantage of being able to strategize without fear of having those not in their group join in, because their little habit is not only repugnant but, you know, fatal.  If you don't want to consume second-hand smoke and damage your lungs (and eyes, and skin, and smell like crap), it hurts your game.  Yeah, that's fair.

Three seasons where we had a grand total of one smoker (Jason in BB17, of course), and now there's a whole posse hanging out in the back, thinking how "cool" they are as they spew their (figurative) venom while polluting the air.  To be fair, Scott also came in with the habit (as you can tell by those lovely yellow teeth of his), but Jason has infected Justin, Shane, Shelby (briefly, thankfully), and I think Danielle.  To spin an old Buffy line, "add it up, it all spells 'Ew'".  Seriously, BB, if you must cast the nic-addicted (and recent evidence argues against it), just give them patches and gum.  Let them find their penis-substitutes elsewhere.  Those giant pickles seem good for a laugh.

(Pardon the virulence, but my dad died from lung cancer.  40 years after his last cigarette.  So I really don't enjoy watching these fools kill themselves.  But JMO.)

I get the impression he's smoked for many yrs so this isn't something for strategic purposes or out of malice. No one has to stand by him or sit near while he smokes, they choose to. Saying this as someone who's not a fan of smoking. Not because of health reasons. It's such a conformist and corporate thing to do. I smoke maybe 3 -6 cigs a week and do it alone, hidden, for that reason. 

• Love 1
(edited)

From the Steve thread, last year:

On 8/3/2015 at 1:38 PM, DAngelus said:

And yeah, Steve's lucky he wound up in a season where the "mean" side of the House isn't all that mean, relatively speaking.  (I knew Andy Herren, and you, Jason Roy, are no Andy Herren.  Thankfully.)

I would like to take this back, please.  Jason's vile screamfest at the BS in the backyard after backdooring Morgan combined the abusive scumminess of Joshuah Welch with the sanctimonious judgmental condescencion of Dustin Erikstrup.  (I'd throw Dickless into the mix, too, but Jason would run and hide if he ever got within 100 feet of him, so fuck that.  I wont even dignify him with the comparison.)

At least Andy didn't go into screaming ragefests. He was disgusting and misogynistic and a rat and a backstabber, but he didn't scream like a raging asshole just for the sake of TV time.  

And what's with the fake "y'all" shit, anyhow?  You're from Massachusetts, douchebag.  Go eat a dick or something, you sack of crap.

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 1