Type keyword(s) to search

Sarah's Marathon Diary: Sword Subject

What the hell is that thing Nimoy's holding in the header photo? Also, his tie & jacket!! Also Also, was that Issac Asimov?

Too bad they couldn't have just done an interview with the Inuit lady. I bet she had some stories to tell.

THE "SIR OR MADAM, I'M AFRAID YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT" MOMENT The idea that the fireball is proof of another civilization watching us "very benevolently." If flattening trees for miles around is "very benevolent," what does regular benevolence look like, never mind outright bitchiness?

Anybody remember a TV movie from several years ago like this? It was in the format of a real time news broadcast, like Special Bulletin, but terrible. After the first meteor love note, which destroyed a city, three more are on the way, and we nuke them in self defense, causing the "friendly" aliens to drop what looked like the whole Asteroid Belt on our heads. The show ends on a weird moralizing note that if only we humans had been more patient and less quick to resort to violence (?) we could have avoided our own destruction.

The Vinland colony was probably unsustainable anyway, since the mother Greenland colony wasn't doing so great  either, but one theory (I think Jared Diamond mentions this in Collapse) says that lactose intolerance may have played a role. Norse records say they traded with the Native Americans, then shortly after, the Native Americans attacked. One of the recorded Norse trade goods was milk. It's quite possible the Native Americans thought they were victims of an attempted poisoning and retaliated.