Type keyword(s) to search

Billions Anticipation

• Start Topic

We have a premiere date! January 17, 2016.

Billions is a bold, contemporary drama that explores worlds of ultra-wealth, influence and corruption as personified in two highly ambitious opposing figures: hard-charging, blue-blooded, politically connected U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades (Paul Giamatti) and brilliant, calculating, blue-collar billionaire hedge fund king, Bobby ‘Axe’ Axelrod (Damian Lewis). Set amongst the Machiavellian machinations of New York City power politics and finance, Billions weaves an intricate narrative featuring a high-stakes game of predator-versus-prey. Maggie Siff, Malin Akerman, Toby Leonard Moore, David Costabile and Condola Rashad also star.

Well Showtime is promoting the hell out of it and if I'm paying of the subscription, I'll check it out.

How will it differ from House of Lies?  Will it be another show about cynical businessmen?

Looks like the creators of the series do not have a big TV background.  Movies yes, but not TV.

The promo looks great, sounds terrible. Some of that dialogue...eesh.

The creative team looks dubious: David Levien and Brian Koppelman are the writing team behind such "gems" as Runner Runner (8% on Rotten Tomatoes) and Ocean's Thirteen. Andrew Ross Sorkin has virtually no TV writing experience. I'm not sold.

I will watch it, because the cast looks fantastic and because I love lawyer shows, but I am concerned. Damian Lewis usually stars in very good material, though--Band of Brothers, Life, Homeland (started out good, anyway), the Forsyte Saga, Wolf Hall, etc.--so maybe it won't be all that bad.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

Saw Damian Lewis promote this on Colbert's show and was not impressed by whatever accent he was supposed to be doing in the clip that was shown.  It didn't sound like any strain of American I'm familiar with, which is odd given how well Lewis has done portraying Americans in the past.  But I heard a good review on NPR this morning, so I'll give it a shot.