Type keyword(s) to search

Eve's Marathon Diary: Dick In A Box

A favorite David Simon is a dick story: At one point, Martin O'Malley (Carcetti IRL) wanted to take away The Wire's tax credits because he was sick of Baltimore being shorthand for urban blight as a result of the show's popularity. Simon said he'd move the production to the shittiest parts of Philadelphia and still keep on calling it Baltimore, so the city would get all of the same terrible press and none of the economic benefits. O'Malley backed down.

From Eve's Marathon Diary, re: Bodie:

I also like that he was never redeemed -- not really. On another show, Bodie would see "the light" and be making plans to leave his life of crime when his promise is tragically cut short by Marlo's (by way of Michael) bullet. But this is The Wire, where Bodie's abortive decision to dime out the bad guys came from a sense of fair play of the game, not a sudden burst of conscience. Bodie's promise was tragically cut short the day he was born, not the day he died.

This is my favorite passage yet from the Diary entries.  And yes, the scene between Bodie and McNulty at the restaurant was very, very well done by JD Williams.

I'm also going to tar Jimmy with the dick brush for turning Beadie into yet another McNulty prop. She was so cool and smart in Season 2, and now she's just a little woman to say supportive things, save a fuck-up guy (ladies, this whole "saving a guy" thing is a myth perpetuated by men who want to make "being a dick" into a datable character trait. Do not fall for it!), and spoon while wearing a bra in bed.

I can't remember if I've said this already in another thread, so here goes: I don't particularly agree with the opinion (seemingly here and in posts by others on the forum) that the female characters aren't written with the same care as the males.  The fact is, a lot of women in real life do commit to and prop up ill-behaved (or criminal) men.  I can easily imagine a Beadie who is one way after some time as a single parent, and then changes behavior somewhat when in a new serious relationship.  I think she is as real as anyone else on the show.  Now, it might not be the best life move, but that doesn't mean that the show or the writers don't care about women or is trying to perpetuate stereotypes.

I'd even argue that Beadie is admirably strong.  She is cautious about letting McNulty into her life because she is protective of her kids.  She confronts him more than once and reminds him where her lines are, what her priorities are, and what's at stake.  She even takes the kids and leaves.  And then, best of all, she comes back and asserts that it's her house.  (I loved that.)  I think she's a pretty good character and I think it's ok to show someone who is in love with a guy who is kind of a dick.  (To use the word of the day.)  

I can't defend spooning in bed while wearing a bra, though.  That's too far from my experience to seem realistic.

ETA: Snoop didn't make this list?  She definitely makes mine.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn