Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E45: I'm Breaking up with my Religion

TD3000

I don't catch True Life much nowadays, but decided to check this out after Real World. It was certainly tough to watch the guy and the younger girl come out to their parents, but the reactions they received weren't too bad. I'm glad that the guy's friends didn't shun him even though they strongly disagreed with his choice. I'm assuming that the other girl went through RCIA?

EDIT: Sorry, not sure what episode number this is, might be 43 or 44.

Edited by TD3000

This was a really, really nice episode. The conflicts were real but not exaggerated, and the subjects were sincere. I found it particularly interesting because while I am agnostic, I have a lot of respect for the faithful and enjoy watching their journeys. Lupita was particularly great, and I'm glad that she had a nice conversation with the priest but remained with the faith that made her most comfortable. I dabbled in paganism as a teenager, and while it didn't stick, I found it to be a comfortable, warm community.

I found it sort of amusing to watch the Buddhist guy's friends try to use their minister-in-training skills on him. They were utterly baffled by how someone could look at the words in the Bible and not just accept them. They wielded the "I am the truth" line like it was a trump card. But you can't logic someone into believing, especially if your "logic" is based entirely on the Bible. Maybe they should spend some time with the priest Lupita talked to (though I do think that there's a lot of misconceptions about the "new" Catholic stance on gays--Pope Francis didn't really change anything, he just put it in a more gentle way). I understand his friend's concern that that he was just taking the breakup out on God, but I knew what he meant when he said that the breakup led him to question whether he heard God's voice.

They were utterly baffled by how someone could look at the words in the Bible and not just accept them.

That was outstanding. "But these three guys saw Jesus rise from the dead -- what are the odds that they are all lying?" Have you ever heard of fiction writing, friends? They'd believe in Frankenstein if their parents had told them that THAT book was real.

• Love 1