Type keyword(s) to search

Braeden: Dean Winchester with boobs

Hmm, nope.  One example in which she seemed to be posing as a marshal.  Not three examples of the show telling us she was.

Actually yes. We have her using her badge (on offscreensville) to gain access to a prisoner transport truck, her using her badge to get into the interrogation room (and telling the officer that she was a US Marshall when she entered the room) during the bonfire episode, then her flashing her badge in episode 3 to get the files on the mute. That's 3.

Each time she identified herself as a US Marshal. You just assumed she was posing; she just confirmed it to Derek in the season finale. It's like that quote from Rush Hour when Chris Tucker gets mad at Jackie Chan for speaking English when he was only suppsed to understand/speak Chinese and Jackie said "No, you assumed I didn't speak english." You assumed she was lying. She straight up says in cannon that she wasn't.

We have her using her badge (on offscreensville)

"Offscreensville" proves my very point that they didn't spend much time on her when she wasn't being shown as Derek's LI.  And I don't count that as them "telling" the audience that she's an actual Marshal.  You're free to, of course.  

You just assumed she was posing

Okay, I'll give you that.  But a lot of people took it as her only posing as one - reviews and wikis even updated her character bio as such at the time.  And the comments I saw about her at the time made no mention of believing the show was telling us she was really a marshal.  The show was intentionally not making it obvious.  Or more likely, the show half-assed it and didn't know whether they were going to have her be a real marshal.  (That's far more likely, tbh.)   Even at that, she got more air time updating Derek on what she found - while she got dressed in front of him, of course.

The amount of time Braeden spent in her underwear this season has been fairly gratuitous, but I've pretty much been shrugging at it since Hoechlin tends to be shirtless in those same scenes and it's not as if he spent all of Season One in turtleneck/parka combos either. The freezing up in mid-skirmish to weep over him seemed to contradict her established character though, and I hope in future appearances they remember that she's a battle-hardened bounty hunter who'd probably save her displays of vulnerability until after the automatic weapons fire has died down a bit.

"Offscreensville" proves my very point that they didn't spend much time on her when she wasn't being shown as Derek's LI.  And I don't count that as them "telling" the audience that she's an actual Marshal.  You're free to, of course.

But it still doesn't, because a character (Stiles, specifically) asked her how she obtained the truck, and she straight up said "I'm a US Marshall". Why would they put in a scene with her going to the police station, flashing her badge, and driving away with the truck? It would have been a superfluous scene. And she wouldn't be the first character to gain use to a prisoner transport van by using her connections in offscreensville (cough*stilesagain*cough). That doesn't negate the part where she was very forthright about how she got it: because "I'm a US Marshall"

Okay, I'll give you that.  But a lot of people took it as her only posing as one - reviews and wikis even updated her character bio as such at the time.  And the comments I saw about her at the time made no mention of believing the show was telling us she was really a marshal.  The show was intentionally not making it obvious.  Or more likely, the show half-assed it and didn't know whether they were going to have her be a real marshal.  (That's far more likely, tbh.)   Even at that, she got more air time updating Derek on what she found - while she got dressed in front of him, of course.

So. Again that's because people assumed she was lying. It still doesn't change the fact that her being a US Marshall wasn't just dropped out of nowhere; it was a reoccurring tidbit of information.

The amount of time Braeden spent in her underwear this season has been fairly gratuitous, but I've pretty much been shrugging at it since Hoechlin tends to be shirtless in those same scenes and it's not as if he spent all of Season One in turtleneck/parka combos either. The freezing up in mid-skirmish to weep over him seemed to contradict her established character though, and I hope in future appearances they remember that she's a battle-hardened bounty hunter who'd probably save her displays of vulnerability until after the automatic weapons fire has died down a bit.

Hey, I'm all for gratuitous underwear scenes, so long as there's equal exposure :)

I will agree that here crying over his body was a wee bit dramatic.

Why would they put in a scene with her going to the police station, flashing her badge, and driving away with the truck? It would have been a superfluous scene.

No it wouldn't, because they'd still show her as getting the truck, whether or not her Marshal excuse was real.  The show itself did nothing to make it seem like it was legit, because they knew the audience would attribute it to the actions of a clever bounty hunter/merc  just as easily. 

We're not going to agree, ya know. :)   You believe she got decent characterization this season, and I believe she didn't and was mainly used as a LI.  But we both like Braeden.  So we may as well leave it at that.

No it wouldn't, because they'd still show her as getting the truck, whether or not her Marshal excuse was real.  The show itself did nothing to make it seem like it was legit, because they knew the audience would attribute it to the actions of a clever bounty hunter/merc  just as easily. 

My question to this would be why? Why would they show that scene? The episode already went over 15 minutes....why would they waste time with a throw-away scene....just to hammer home a mute point they've already made a few times over the season? On top of that, they covered the potential mystery of it by having her explain how she got it. It would be redundant for them to include a scene and then have her summarize a scene we'd already seen just to keep the other characters abreadst. They killed two birds with one stone (Time and Info dump) by having her say one line.

Yea, we're never going to agree on this.

My question at the end of the episode was actually: why doesn't Derek already know she's a US marshall? I would have thought that might have come up sometime in conversation. Or did they really just have sex all the time? Because that's what it looked like to me. Not that I would blame them. :-)

Edited by beee
My question to this would be why? Why would they show that scene? The episode already went over 15 minutes....why would they waste time with a throw-away scene....just to hammer home a mute point they've already made a few times over the season? On top of that, they covered the potential mystery of it by having her explain how she got it.

I don't know that it's a moot point.  Maybe they thought the audience might wonder about the truck, so they included it.  Or maybe they included because they had the extra time from MTV for the episode.  JD knew he had the extra time before the episode was completed and ready for airing, after all.  And it's not a point they made clear earlier in the season.  If it were, then the reviews and wikis would have been mentioning it all along.  My guess is that, by the finale, they knew they were going to bring Megan back for S5 so they took the idea that she posed as a marshal and made it something she really was, so they'd have an excuse for her to be involved in the Desert Wolf hunt they're planning to do.

My question at the end of the episode was actually: why doesn't Derek already know she's a US marshall?

Heh.  Probably because the writers didn't think of it.

You believe she got decent characterization this season, and I believe she didn't and was mainly used as a LI.

I was really turned off by a female writer from the show saying that she pitched the idea of Derek carrying Braeden into the hospital in his arms and she added that she was disappointed they didn't get a better shot of the said carrying. It suggested this writer wanted to turn Braeden into a damsel in distress so that she could decorate Derek's arms.

I'm not a fan of Braeden but I suspect that's largely because I'm not a fan of Derek and she mostly seems like a female version of him. Well, she's not as self-pitying as Derek so yay for that. I'd need to see her having relationships with other characters to care about her.  

I like Braeden because I have a soft spot for the hard-nosed female action girl type. But I get a lot of secondhand embarrassment from Meagan Tandy. Reason #275321 why you should never read actors’ social media accounts because it will only lead to bad things.