Type keyword(s) to search

Hero's Journey as depicted in GG

junienmomo
  • Start Topic

Remember Rory and Paris watching the Power of Myth in Florida? That literary reference caught my attention and after investigating Joseph Campbell a little, I discovered his book about myths and the common structure each myth follows. Every myth has a hero and the hero goes through a specific series of events. See  http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero%27s_journey.htm for a short description.

Each hero starts with a call to adventure, then goes through a series of tests and challenges, eventually going through a very dark ordeal, and comes out the other side as a changed person.

This applies to modern myths, too. One of the most-referenced is Star Wars, but it's also clearly demonstrated in the GG.

At least three characters have complete hero's journeys in the series: Lorelai, Rory and Luke.

Identifying the journey steps for each of these characters helps me appreciate them more.

For example, Luke is called to adventure by meeting Lorelai. She is his "herald." As their relationship develops, he faces a deep challenge coming to terms with his father's death when he has to move the boat. It's a beautiful transformation when he comes through that and is able to tell Lorelai that he sees the good intent she had by saving the boat for him.

I also see Luke's deepest darkest ordeal coming during Lorelai's marriage to Christopher and shown during Liz' visit later in that season.

Does this topic interest you at all? I'd love to hear your perspectives, because Lorelai's and Rory's journeys are every bit as interesting, I suspect.

Very interesting topic, Junie!  My son had to an assignment like this for school and without hesitation picked Hermione from Harry Potter--made my feminist mom's heart happy!

I shall ponder some possible GG journeys and be back....

• Love 1