Type keyword(s) to search

Separated by a Common Language: Language in Sherlock

Boton

Starting this topic in the hopes that we can use it to clarify some of the differences language between British English and other languages, especially since show is so popular in many countries and closed captioning often leaves a lot to be desired.  Besides, who doesn't love a good discussion of whether you should truly call a "tyre lever" a "tire iron?"

My question for those who'd like to weigh in:  I'm American and watching (obsessing over) "His Last Vow."  There is that line toward the beginning where they've hauled Sherlock from the crack house and he's fighting with Mycroft in his flat, and he says, "Brother mine, don't appal me when I'm high."  (Closed captioning has "appal" with one "l," which I gather is an acceptable spelling of "appall.")

My question is whether "appal(l)" in British English has a secondary meaning of something closer to "taunt."  I would hear "appall" as meaning "shock" or "horrify," but the context would put it somewhere closer to "Dude, don't give me shit when I'm high."  Thoughts?