Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Higher Calling

• Start Topic

Tariq and Monet try to leverage a way to get out from under Carter... by making a play to Noma; an incident with Brayden's relationship with Elle sends him off the deep end as he goes from puppy to pit bull.

Air date: September 20, 2024

Carter lighting candles for Felicia. Please. It's a wonder a lightning bolt didn't shoot down from heaven and immediately strike him dead for mocking a religious rite.

So Carter cleaned up Diana's mess by making Felicia's death look like a car accident. Seems to me a coroner would've been able to tell Felicia was already dead when her body got run over.

"Regret is for civilians." Sure, Tariq.

Tariq sarcastically compared Carter to Denzel's character in Training Days. Michael Ealy could only wish he had such high Hollywood regard but I appreciate the show acknowledging the reference.

Effie definitely wasn't congratulating the newly bethrothed couple. "Just business" her behind, Cane.

Loved the leather skirt suit Noma was wearing.

Diane trying to replace the baby she and Tariq lost when she miscarried. Gosh, that would've been an awful responsibility to put on an innocent child. Thankfully Tariq refused to go along with her attempted seduction.

I have to hope Dru is laying in wait for the ideal moment to take Carter out.

Well, Tariq should believe in evil since he perpetrates so much of it. And I think it's laughable for him to be still attending classes.

Effie's mother? And Effie's real name is Josefina? Whoa. Great casting but too late in game unless the spumors of an Effie-based spinoff series are real.

I'm surprised it took this long for Monet and Tariq to figure out their best move was to pit Noma and Carter against each other. Or try to anyway.

So, Tariq, okay for you to murder people in the heat of the moment but when Brayden does it, you get upset? Okay then.

Brayden shouldn't have told his girlfriend what he did to her coke dealer.  She was not about that gangster life.

Loved how smoothly Carter's Lieutenant Nico was setting him up against Noma. Or trying to anyway.

Oh no, Noma and Carter are joining forces instead of taking each other out. Bad news for Tariq and the Tejadas.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:44 PM, AntFTW said:

I wasn't prepared for Drea de Matteo playing Effie's mom. 😂

Yeah, the actress is a still a notable get but this show is hardly in the same league as The Sopranos. Assuming that's the reference 50 was hoping the viewers would recognize with her.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Effie's mother? And Effie's real name is Josefina? Whoa.

Remember when Effie was locked up last season? And Jenny the prosecutor referred to Effie by her government name, Josefina Morales, in court?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Brayden shouldn't have told his girlfriend what he did to her coke dealer.  She was not about that gangster life.

Well... Brayden is very stupid. He shouldn't have shot the dealer. At that point, the guy probably would have overdosed on his own supply if Brayden kept making him snort coke.

Also, she looks very healthy for a drug addict. Maybe a high-functioning addict?

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Remember when Effie was locked up last season? And Jenny the prosecutor referred to Effie by her government name, Josefina Morales, in court?

Heh, nope, I barely remember what's happened this season. And when I hear "Effie" I tend to think of the Hunger Games movies.

3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

she looks very healthy for a drug addict.

Especially one who has sickle cell too. Seems like the show is suggesting that the coke use was benefiting her health until she got some that was laced with fentanyl.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Heh, nope, I barely remember what's happened this season. And when I hear "Effie" I tend to think of the Hunger Games movies.

😂😂😂

I barely remember the first half of the season. The second half, I think, has been pretty good. I feel more "hooked" on the second half than I ever did on the first half.

I completely forgot there was a character named Effie in Hunger Games. I think of Effie from Dreamgirls.

7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So, Tariq, okay for you to murder people in the heat of the moment but when Brayden does it, you get upset? Okay then.

IKR? When Brayden does it, he's somehow sloppy and stupid... 🙄

Both of them can't be that smart. They literally left their fingerprints everywhere.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Effie from Dreamgirls.

OMG, consider me fully chagrined to have missed that.

I've never attended a theatre production of Dreamgirls but I saw the movie the day it opened. I'll never forget the experience because it was Christmas Day, and most of the jam-packed audience stood up and cheered after JHud sang The Song.

It's hard for me to imagine though that Dreamgirls was reference 50 was going for. The presence of Mary J Blige and Method Man notwithstanding, I think this show is aimed at young men.