Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Hard Cases

Rinaldo

I feel bad for the state policeman who pegs Avon as being responsible for the hot shots.  There is nothing he can do--he has no Judge Phelan, no Valchek demanding a detail.  The reason Daniels, McNulty et. al. get to work good cases is because of bigwigs moving the chess pieces around and giving them the opportunity to do real work.

• Love 1

I worry I'm gonna be saying this constantly, but... man, that was a beautiful opening scene. Frank contemplating "his" harbor and what's become of it (hits home for someone like me who lives an hour away and has been there often), Nick simultaneously respectful and resentful, then getting to the point about the lifting and selling of the cameras -- Frank furious because it reflects on him, the same time he understands it and even has advice about it. He's mad at Nick, knows Ziggy shouldn't be involved in it (mostly because he's not smart enough), and he does understand that the docks aren't a living wage for the kids any more.

And then more lovely nuances when Jimmy visits his old offices. Bunk and Lester may like him in general, but they're plenty pissed at him right now. And when Beadie asks "Who's Omar?", the perfect amount of silence while we know the others are thinking, "Where do you even begin?"

In prison: silly me, I thought "silver surfers" were a new kind of drug; nope, they're handing out comic books.

That great short scene with Kima, Cheryl, and the fratboys in traffic at night. Even though we like Kima, we understand why Cheryl has had it up to here with her job.

Which sets up the great little scene where Daniels invites Kima to the detail. When he offers to keep her inside, away from harm, she rolls her eyes and says "If I hear the music, I'm gonn' dance." And then, after a long thoughtful silence and a shared smile, "I'll tell your wife if you tell mine." (Followed later on by the hilariously awkward montage of the two couples glaring over their respective silent candlelit dinners, to the tune of a Brandenburg Concerto.)

Moment that practically brings a happy tear to my eye: Daniels, Kim, and Herc make their first visit to the offsite, where a happy Prez is oh-so-casually leaning against the wall, asking "What kept you?"

• Love 2

Moment that practically brings a happy tear to my eye: Daniels, Kim, and Herc make their first visit to the offsite, where a happy Prez is oh-so-casually leaning against the wall, asking "What kept you?"

I loved that scene, too.

Prez is such an interesting character. After his disastrous incident in Season 1, shooting the young man and just generally acting like a jerk, I dismissed him as one of the lightweights that had been dumped on the team. I didn't expect that impression to change. I was surprised when he cracked the phone code. Yes, he was shown to like puzzles, but I had dismissed even that trait, because it seemed to me he was doing the easiest of all puzzles (the word search). (Although, of course, the word search does force you to look up and down diagonally, and so I guess it does make sense that he'd figure out the scheme.)

Anyway, I did a complete turnaround on Prez and was so happy for him to have his moment of glory.

I thought the actor who played Prez looked a bit familiar but couldn't place him. I happened to be channel-surfing and came upon a Law & Order: Criminal Intent in which the actor played the villain. He was good, but he didn't make the same impression that he makes here as Prez. I find that to be true of many of the actors on this show. I'll see them on reruns of other shows and think "Oh, there's Burrell or there's Kima." But here, the actors are unforgettable.

One more aside . . . I did recognize Lance Riddick (although I didn't know his name) from his other roles. I recently saw him on a light bulb commercial, though, and was surprised to see how different he looks. He's put on some weight, and his face looks much less . . . hmmm, I'm not sure what the word is. Scary? Intense? Skeletal?

Edited by Jordan Baker
Although, of course, the word search does force you to look up and down diagonally, and so I guess it does make sense that he'd figure out the scheme.)

Aha!  What a great observation.  Finally, that makes sense.

I worry I'm gonna be saying this constantly, but... man, that was a beautiful opening scene. Frank contemplating "his" harbor and what's become of it (hits home for someone like me who lives an hour away and has been there often), Nick simultaneously respectful and resentful,

The opening moments before anyone spoke were wonderful.  Both actors did a great job.  Very expressive and poignant.