Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: I Do (Part II)

• Start Topic

When an unexpected phone call leaves Liv spiraling on her wedding day, the Vortex band together to create magic; Spencer rallies help for a surprise of his own; Laura brings in her own reinforcement; Coop receives some major news about her future.

Season Finale.

(edited)

Well, Daniel, I hope you weren't counting on a gig competing on Dancing With the Stars.

That deed had to be worth north of $2 million.  Have fun paying the taxes and upkeep.

I was really hoping to see Dillon with Layla on the dance floor.  

Patience came with it when Asher was kidding around!  "Don't you have a sick girlfriend or a son to take care of?"  OMG.  That had to absolutely crack up the entire cast when they first saw it in the script.

Spencer really should have asked his agent to find a way to negotiate a late arrival to camp.  It's the entire point of having an agent.

I loved the flashback scenes.  I especially liked the one between Coop and Spencer.  It helped enhance their final Crenshaw moment (on the swing), which was super meaningful, and for me, emotional (Daniel also said it was emotional to him in the interview linked below).  What a great bookend this was!  I could make an argument that their relationship was the best and most significant aspect of the series.

I don't think there were any glaring holes in the final status of the main characters.  TPTB did a good job with that.  We pretty much know where they are headed and despite the fact that most all were in a pretty great place, it all seemed plausible and was in keeping with the characters we came to know.

Take a bow, All American.  You insisted on being about something and you clung tenaciously to that vision.  Kudos, and thank you.

https://deadline.com/2024/07/all-american-star-daniel-ezra-exit-season-6-finale-interview-1236010798/

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

That was a good interview.  I'm glad they were able to have the final two episodes for more closure, as I really liked "Victory Lap" but it was rushed.  I think they filmed the last two much more recently, as I remember reading an interview with Monet Mazur early in the season where she said they didn't find out about those being ordered until the public did.

It was interesting that the flashbacks were mostly used to reinforce Olivia's panic, rather than going the typical route of showing happier moments (though Laura and Wendy did manage to remind her that those happened too).  The vows were a little sappy, but they earned that, and they had Coop's comments to balance things out.  I also liked when she was like, "You're not getting married in a high school auditorium!" because dumber things have probably happened on shows.  Her conversation with Spencer on the swings was very nice.

I wonder when Spencer and Olivia would have even had time to rehearse an elaborate dance, given the limited time between when they got engaged and the start of OTAs.  It was fun though.  Dillon of course would have wanted to dance with Layla, but she probably found excuses to get away.  He would have asked if she was having marital problems or something.  Why did Laura take Layla's cake away, and why did Jordan have trouble getting a piece?  I know it was a (very elaborate) last-minute reception, but I'm sure they had a big cake.

I thought that Patience mentioning Asher's sick girlfriend wasn't about Jaymee's lupus, but was supposed to be the writers' explanation for not including her in the episode, that she had some minor bug and couldn't come.

I guess they haven't decided if Coop will be on next season, based on her indecision about which law school to attend.  When her phone had the message about Yale, I was like, "Okay, she's gone too" until she reacted that way.  She could interact with Preach and Amina for sure, and maybe Layla while Jordan is busy coaching.  Even though she's friends with Asher, I'd be surprised if he comes back even though he also has a local high-school coaching job.  I think when Primetimer still had articles and they interviewed Cody Christian, they linked to some Instagram post where he talked about his future, but I didn't look at what it said.

When they put out casting info for the next season, are they going to announce someone as Billy's long-lost brother?  That plot insertion was weird for this episode.

I will definitely miss this incarnation of the show (I don't think the new version will last long with the way the new CW ownership is).  I noticed that iTunes was offering the first five seasons for a discounted price, so maybe (relatively) soon they will add season six for a little more and I can re-watch (I don't have any streaming services except for maybe Peacock).

• Love 1