Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Public Service Announcement

• Start Topic

As the team heads into their first football game of the season, the media's growing obsession with Spencer begins to take a toll on him; Olivia opens up to Jordan and Laura about what she's been working on.

Boy, did I really not like this one.

The one thing I did enjoy was the strategy change during the game.  If the thing was to win, there is no controversy.  But, of course, TV needs draaaaaaama, so it's about egos and stature. 

Spence can't win for losing.  I'll be dogged if I can think of any important decision he's made since we last saw him in the airport, or a single time that he has carried himself poorly.  No mention of NIL cash?  Mama Spence did not mention it in her spiel?  Also, there is no way in Hades that the Head Coach would talk down to Spence regarding his NFL declaration.  Why on earth would he chastise his meal ticket?  He wouldn't.  Not over this.

When, exactly, does Asher get to go coach his team?  Did they not have a game. as well?  This whole prideful parent arc is nuts, imo.

Olivia is perhaps more self-absorbed than any character.  Not a good look.  If writing about her Dad is cathartic and revelatory, go for it!  Just don't publish such for all the world to see.  Simple.  

Serious Q:  Does Layla still run her music label?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Serious Q:  Does Layla still run her music label?

There was an interview with most of the cast previewing the season that said this: "Like everyone else, Layla has a lot going on this season between turning Slauson Cafe into her new lounge space, running her record label, and planning a wedding."  However, Greta didn't say anything about it specifically in her quotes, so I don't know if Layla still has the label or if the writer was just assuming.

I wonder if something is going to happen that causes Spencer to not go to the NFL yet, like when they made it look like he was leaving for Toledo for college.  I don't think it would be an injury, though possible, because they already had him go through rehabbing to get back on the field when he was shot.  They probably want to keep having seasons (and the network probably does as well considering the ratings of most of their shows), so wouldn't split him off from everyone.  Unless, of course, he gets drafted by an L.A. team.  I'm sure they can't refer to actual teams, so they'd hopefully just say he was playing for Los Angeles and not have fake team names like they do with the colleges.  Grace and Olivia were not giving him the greatest advice.  They could have sent him in the same direction by telling him to follow his dream or whatever, without specifically suggesting that he be selfish.  It seems like Grace used to give good advice, but I think last year she was pushing him to keep going out with that girl even though he was still hung up on Olivia (which in the end hurt the other girl whose name I forgot).  She also chimed in about how great Coop's girlfriend of the time was, so I guess the writers wanted Grace to annoy people.  I also don't think Olivia is right about Billy's advice; he wouldn't tell Spencer to act like he is in the pros and be selfish before he's actually IN the pros.  He dealt with a situation of Spencer wanting to do everything himself in that game where Crenshaw played the JV QB because Chris was out of town for some reason, but now it seems like they're going to repeat that behavior (which Spencer learned from) with the NFL excuse.

The feud with Mac just makes Coach Kenny look stupid.  Regardless of analytics, how could they have won over half their games the year before if they just give the ball to Spencer on every play?  Somebody would have figured it out before the next season.

Patience seemed rather annoyed about Coop wanting to take her home when no one else was there.  Maybe that was just part of her not liking the feeling of being the victim.  Ryan was pulling a Mr. Miyagi there getting Patience to do manual labor under the guise of teaching her self-defense.

I like that they didn't make Ryan an obvious "villain" by having him advise Layla not to move in with Jordan.  Instead he does the opposite but she decides she's not moving in until marriage!  Jordan's reaction was funny even though obviously not supposed to be.

I can't remember if Asher had facial hair in the premiere or if this is supposed to be that he didn't have time to shave because of A.J. teething.  There was another time a few years ago where I remember googling something about Asher's facial hair because I didn't remember then if he'd had it before either because I wasn't paying attention.  I didn't know Laura had moved back to her actual house (where do they all sleep?).

I liked Olivia's reference to sleazy TMZ reporters because that show is on right before All American here!  I only know because the ending is on my recording, and this week it ran several minutes too long for some reason and would have caused the end of this episode to cut off if I didn't add on time.

• Love 1

Well, for all of Spencer's protestations about not wanting to constantly be the center of attention, he certainly found a way to refocus that spotlight back onto himself at the end, didn't he?

• Like 2