Type keyword(s) to search

[Pilot] Suits: L.A.

• Start Topic

(edited)

‘Suits L.A.’ Casts Stephen Amell To Lead NBC Drama Pilot
By Nellie Andreeva, Denise Petski   February 13, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/suits-l-a-stephen-amell-nbc-drama-pilot-1235824358/ 

Arrow star Stephen Amell is set as the lead in NBC drama pilot Suits L.A., a new extension of the Suits universe from Aaron Korsh, creator and writer of the original series. Production is scheduled to start in late March in Vancouver.

Suits L.A. centers on Ted Black (Amell), a former federal prosecutor from New York, who has reinvented himself representing the most powerful clients in Los Angeles. His firm is at a crisis point, and in order to survive he must embrace a role he held in contempt his entire career. Ted is surrounded by a group of characters who test their loyalties to both Ted and each other while they can’t help but mix their personal and professional lives. All of this is going on while events from years ago slowly unravel that led Ted to leave behind everything and everyone he loved.

Amell’s Ted Black is described as a charismatic force of nature who puts his own needs above others. Fifteen years ago, the former New York prosecutor joined forces with his old buddy, Stuart Lane, to build an L.A. law firm that specializes in criminal and entertainment law.

Suits: L.A. is not be a reboot or revival but a brand extension in the vein of the CSI and NCIS franchises featuring new characters in a new location.

'Suits: L.A.’: Josh McDermitt Joins Stephen Amell In NBC Pilot
By Nellie Andreeva   February 22, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/02/suits-l-a-josh-mcdermitt-stephen-amell-nbc-pilot-1235834530/ 

EXCLUSIVE: The Walking Dead alum Josh McDermitt is set as a lead opposite Stephen Amell in NBC drama pilot Suits L.A., a new extension of the Suits universe from Aaron Korsh, creator and writer of the original series. Production is scheduled to start in late March in Vancouver.
Fifteen years ago, Ted Black (Amell) joined forces with his old buddy, Stuart Lane (McDermitt), to build an L.A. law firm, Black Lane Law, hat specializes in criminal and entertainment law.

McDermitt’s Stuart Lane is described as being energetic, powerful, focused and self-absorbed.

Lex Scott Davis Says Suits: L.A. Starts Filming Soon, Teases Original Cast 'Maybe' Will Appear in Spinoff (Exclusive)
By Charna Flam and Nathan Vinson  March 8, 2024
https://people.com/lex-scott-davis-suits-spinoff-suits-la-8606185 

“There is a pilot script, and that's what we'll be filming in April,” Scott Davis revealed.

"Fingers crossed that the pilot gets a series order," she added. "But, I'm pretty excited. Pretty sure we'll get our series order, for sure."
Late last month, the 33-year-old actress was cast in the upcoming legal procedural drama as Erica Rollins, the "savvy and strong-willed rising star who works for Ted Black," per Deadline. The original series, which debuted on Netflix last June, set streaming records four years after its series finale.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Suits: L.A.’: ‘The Wilds’ Actor Troy Winbush Joins NBC Pilot
By Rosy Cordero   March 8, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/03/suits-l-a-troy-winbush-cast-1235850360/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Troy Winbush (The Wilds) has joined the cast of NBC‘s drama pilot Suits: L.A., an expansion of the Suits universe from Aaron Korsh.

Winbush will portray Kevin in a guest star capacity that will be bumped up to recurring if the pilot is picked up to series. Kevin is Ted Black’s (Stephen Amell) old friend and ex-partner who is a former FBI agent and now a private detective.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Robbie Amell, Stephen Amell & Director Jeff Chan Talk ‘Suits: L.A.’, ‘Upload’s “Shortened” Final Season, Forging Their Own Sci-Fi Franchise In ‘Code 8’
By Matt Grobar   March 13, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/03/suits-la-upload-season-4-teased-stephen-amell-robbie-amell-code-8-interview-1235857618/

DEADLINE: Meanwhile, Stephen, you’re at the beginning of a new journey with Suits: L.A., having landed the lead in one of the most buzzed-about shows of the new year. How did that feel, and what are you excited about with this new series?

STEPHEN: Well, first and foremost, Aaron Korsh, who created the original Suits, he’s back with his same producing partners, same writers, I think some of the same crew, certainly same costume designer. So it’s going to have that Suits feel. I was just excited to go do an in-person audition for the first time in like eight years, and I went into it without a ton of expectations because you never know what they’re going to be looking for.

But the script is great. The cast, most of which has been announced on your website, is really excellent. Both Lex [Scott Davis] and Josh [McDermitt], who I got a chance to do chemistry reads with, are sensational. So I’m trying to focus on what is directly in front of me, and what’s directly in front of me is a pilot script with more words per page than I have said in my entire career, by a factor of five. I’m just going to be a bit of a nervous wreck until we actually get on set and start shooting, which is in just about 27 days. Whatever, who’s counting?

No, I’m really excited, and I’ve also really been enjoying the show. I hadn’t seen the original, and I’m familiarizing myself because I think certain shows, they’ll have a syntax to them. But big fan and just glad I get to be a part of the world.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Suits: L.A. Casts Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist Vet Alice Lee (Exclusive)
BY VLADA GELMAN   MARCH 13, 2024
https://tvline.com/casting-news/suits-la-cast-alice-lee-1235187822/ 

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist alumna Alice Lee is once again lawyering up: The actress has joined the cast of NBC‘s Suits: L.A. pilot, TVLine has learned exclusively. (Lee previously played corporate lawyer Emily Kang on the aforementioned musical dramedy.)
Lee will guest-star in the pilot — and recur if the project is ordered to series — as Leah, a young associate attorney at Black Lane Law who has been assigned to work with (or, as it turns out, for) entertainment attorney Erica Rollins.

‘Suits L.A.’: Bryan Greenberg Joins Stephen Amell In NBC Pilot
By Denise Petski   March 14, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/03/suits-l-a-bryan-greenberg-stephen-amell-nbc-pilot-1235859058/ 

EXCLUSIVE: One Tree Hill alum Bryan Greenberg rounds out the series regular cast for NBC drama pilot Suits L.A., a new extension of the Suits universe from Aaron Korsh, creator and writer of the original series. Production is scheduled to start in late March in Vancouver.
Greenberg plays Rick Dodsen, Ted Black’s protege in the entertainment division of Black Lane Law. Slated to be promoted, Rick is determined to stay one step ahead of his rival, Erica Rollins (Davis).

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Suits: L.A.’ Pilot Sets John Amos, Victoria Justice & Kevin Weisman As Guest Stars
By Rosy Cordero   Apr 18, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/04/suits-l-a-pilot-cast-john-amos-victoria-justice-kevin-weisman-1235889546/ 

EXCLUSIVE: NBC‘s Suits: L.A. drama pilot will feature guest appearances by John Amos (Roots, Good Times), Victoria Justice and Kevin Weisman (Alias). The project is an expansion of the Suits universe from Aaron Korsh.
Amos is playing himself as a client at Ted’s firm who also has a longstanding friendship with Ted. Justice is playing Dylan Pryor, a young movie star who’s confident and ambitious. She’s on the way up and looking to be represented by Ted. Weisman is playing Lester Thompson, a smart and powerful man who is used to getting his way. He’s just been charged with murder and has to listen to others to stay out of prison.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Upfronts 2024: Pilot Buzz & Other Development Updates In Another Atypical Broadcast Cycle
By Nellie Andreeva   May 1, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/05/upfronts-2024-pilots-development-abc-cbs-nbc-fox-1235899211/ 

The network ordered two drama pilots this season, Suits: L.A. and Grosse Pointe Garden Society and comedy Happy’s Place starring Reba McEntire. Of the three, only the multi-camera sitcom is expected to be delivered in time for fall consideration as NBC presents its plans May 13.

Aaron Korsh’s Suits: L.A. just wrapped production early this week and is not slated to have the finished pilot ready until June. Reaction to dailies has been positive, with The Walking Dead alum Josh McDermitt emerging as the show’s comedic breakout alongside star Stephen Amell whose performance also has been well received.

With a globally recognizable title thanks to Suits‘ recent Netflix success, the offshoot could conceivably be picked up a sooner as NBCUniversal is set to pitch its new series offerings to international buyers after the upfronts but most signs point to July decisions on the network’s two drama pilots.
If NBC is happy with both Suits: L.A. and Grosse Pointe Garden Society, there is a chance for both to be picked up to series, I hear.

Edited by tv echo

Suits L.A. MIA From NBC Fall Schedule — What’s Its Status?
BY VLADA GELMAN   MAY 10, 2024 
https://tvline.com/news/suits-la-series-order-status-nbc-1235237501/ 

The network on Friday announced its schedule for the 2024-25 TV season, and the offshoot Suits: L.A. — which has yet to receive a series order — was notably absent from the lineup. However, the pilot is still in contention, with a decision to be made at a later date after execs screen the episode in June. If picked up to series, Suits: L.A. could air midseason or roll over to the 2025-26 season, the network notes.

(edited)

Suits: LA Star Bryan Greenberg Says the Show Hasn't Been Greenlit
Will Sayre   Published 2 days ago
https://movieweb.com/suits-la-bryan-greenberg-update/ 

"I'm definitely not ready to talk about that until we officially get greenlit, but [making the pilot that NBC ordered] was an amazing experience," Greenberg told MovieWeb about Suits: LA. "I love to work with Stephen, I love the whole cast, the crew, and I think the script's great, and I'm hearing good things. But there's still a long time, and I don't want to go there before if there's nowhere to go to."

Greenberg will star as Rick Dodsen, the protégé to Stephen Amell's character, Ted Black, who himself was a former federal prosecutor from New York to begin a private firm in Los Angeles after his life fell apart.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Suits: LA’ Moves Filming from Vancouver to Los Angeles
Loree Seitz   August 1, 2024
https://www.thewrap.com/suits-la-filming-location-vancouver-los-angeles/ 

“Suits: L.A.” has started production in, you guessed it, Los Angeles.

The “Suits” spin-off series has moved filming locations from Vancouver, where the NBC procedural first shot its pilot, to Los Angeles. Production is currently underway on the new series, which stars Stephen Amell (“Arrow,” “Heels”) as a former federal prosecutor who shifts his clientele as he moves to the West Coast.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Who Is Ted Black? How A Top Hollywood Agent Inspired ‘Suits L.A.’
By Nellie Andreeva   August 7, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/08/suits-la-ted-black-inspiration-ted-chervin-stephen-amell-1236030772/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Picked up to series just a day after the 20th year anniversary of the Entourage premiere, NBC’s Suits: L.A. shares a lot more in common with the HBO showbiz comedy than a Los Angeles setting. They also both feature a main character inspired by — and named after — a top Hollywood agent.

Entourage‘s uber agent Ari Gold (Jeremy Piven) being modeled after Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel is well established and part of TV lore. But it’s little known that the central character of Suits: L.A., Ted Black, played by Arrow alum Stephen Amell, was inspired by prominent CAA agent and former ICM Partners managing director Ted Chervin — and the project’s original incarnation was even titled Ted.

“Ted Black is Ted Chervin,” says Literate’s Dennis Kim, Suits and Suits: L.A. creator Aaron Korsh‘s former agent and current manager.
As the legal drama ended after nine seasons, Korsh set out to write another spec inspired by real-life experiences and people he knows, and, still taken by Chervin’s story, he wrote Ted, which centered on a man named Ted who followed Chervin’s career trajectory of a former New York prosecutor coming to Hollywood to work as an agent. (In the fictionalized version, the prosecutor is trying to escape from the mob when he moves to LA.)

USA brass felt the idea was too showbiz-focused and passed. The script, whose title was changed to Hindsight, was set up at eOne Entertainment — then owned by Hasbro — under President of Global TV Michael Lombardo where Korsh also signed an overall deal. I hear there was an effort by the studio to steer the premise away from its dark, highly serialized nature and showbiz angle closer to the lighter, procedural style that made Suits so successful but it did not go far enough and the project did not sell.

The script then found its way to NBCUniversal where, in another ironic twist, Alex Sepiol, the USA executive who oversaw the development of Suits and is now a senior scripted executive across NBCU’s linear networks and Peacock, had feedback for Korsh that felt like déjà vu: executives liked the characters but felt the Hollywood representation business was too narrow and asked him whether he would consider turning the talent agency into a law firm.
Following the unexpected, massive success of Suits on Netflix last summer, NBCUniversal approached Korsh about doing a new series. I hear the company’s President of Scripted Content Lisa Katz read the Hindsight script, liked it and asked whether they could use the Suits moniker in the title. Korsh was not interested in revisiting the original series and its characters, sources said, but he was open to building a Suits universe in the mold of Yellowstone with new stories and new characters.

NBCU was on board with that and Hindsight, ultimately renamed Suits: L.A., received a pilot order, casting Amell as the lead character Ted Black who at that point, following the project’s complex evolution, was only loosely based on Chervin.

Edited by tv echo