Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: What A Difference

• Start Topic

After not knowing or reading about this period of time in Paris I’m really enjoying this series. I thought it would be about French designers, and I guess it will be, but the war period was fascinating to me. A lot I did not know, but I love history. 
I knew it went very bad for the women who collaborated with the Nazi’s. Not sure how I feel about Coco and her actions. Trying to survive like any women at that time? I don’t know. I know Dior’s sister survived the concentration camp, I hope she finds her way home soon so Christian can move on and then maybe the show will move on to showing us fabulous fashion. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I thought it would be about French designers

Because that's how it was advertised.  Personally, I'm not interested in a never-ending war drama.  One episode as background, OK.  But (so far) four episodes out of ten?  Too much.  

• Like 1

So, Madame Delahaye is the one who introduces clairvoyance stuff to Christian. A scene at her home where Christian pounding his chest, insisting that his heart is open - that’s a compelling performance by Ben Mendelsohn.

Christian’s father, Maurice is mean and unreasonable. Christian shouldn’t be blamed over what happened to Catherine. He also shouldn’t be insulted for his profession and sexuality. Maurice crushes his soul, making him questioning his worth. 💔

Why can’t the show put some efforts to fully recreate and showcase both dresses that received the most praise at Théâtre de la Mode? 

Coco is truly a slippery person. She escapes MI6 in the nick of time.

“My heart is French, but my ass is international” mantra has obviously led Arletty to treason charges.

The song at the end of this episode, it’s quite lovely…

6 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I thought it would be about French designers, and I guess it will be.

Ben Mendelsohn said in an interview that this show is not about fashion and war, it's about how people get through life. The trailer is very misleading.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Ben Mendelsohn said in an interview that this show is not about fashion and war, it's about how people get through life. The trailer is very misleading.

That’s fine with me, I’m finding this show very compelling and I can’t wait to see what happens next. 
I did some research on the actress Arletty. IRL they felt she was too famous for the strip and shaved head punishment. Instead she was sentenced to 18 months in prison, which was actually a Chateau, and when she was released she resumed her acting career. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2