Type keyword(s) to search

Gospel

DanaK
  • Start Topic

From August 28, 2023:

PBS and WETA today announced GOSPEL, a new four-hour docuseries that explores the rich history of Black spirituality through sermon and song from executive producer, host, and writer Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., premiering in February 2024 on PBS, PBS.org and the PBS App. GOSPEL reunites acclaimed Harvard scholar and documentarian Gates with directors Stacey L. Holman and Shayla Harris after recently teaming up on MAKING BLACK AMERICA: THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE. The series will premiere on February 12 and 13, 2024, with a special companion concert premiering February 9.

Full press release and trailer http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/08/28/pbs-and-weta-announce-four-hour-documentary-gospel-with-henry-louis-gates-jr-to-premiere-february-12-13-2024-433111/20230828pbs02/

I watched most of the first part last night. It was pretty engrossing, although probably only if you have a taste for gospel music (I do). I really enjoyed the commentary and interviews with the preachers about various gospel-related preaching styles- didn't realize 'whooping' was what it was called!

Loved the film performances of Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Sam Cooke, and Mahalia Jackson. The highlight was undoubtedly Mahalia bursting into 'Joshua Fit de Battle of Jericho', which caused a tense-looking MLK to grin.

I confess I did not realize that Aretha was that Dr. Franklin's daughter.

7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I confess I did not realize that Aretha was that Dr. Franklin's daughter.

The miniseries, part of the History Channel's/NatGeo Genius series staring Cynthia Erivo as the adult Aretha goes into it much more since it had the time than the biopic Respect starring Jennifer Hudson.

So far I have seen Gospel Live with its  teaching concert.  It took a couple of songs for the audience to warm up, maybe becasue it was the first song of the audience's generation