Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: The Lighthouse

Tabbyclaw

The essence of this episode is in the last ten minutes.

Everything else was just confusing filler. I also thought the notion of that baby essentially killing both his parents was disturbing.

Duke and Jennifer and their coffee moment talk was adorable. 

I am so going to miss those scenes :(

The scene that breaks my heart, no matter how many times I see it, starts with the gunshot. When Duke comes onto the porch carrying that baby blanket, he just looks so stunned. He's devastated at what he's done and says he knows she will never forgive him; then Gloria hugs him and I start to cry. :(

You know what I was saying about loving it when this show makes me make the 'somebody stop this from happening' face? Yeah, that first scene kills me in the best way. The fact that there's buildup, but then the gunshot comes during a perfectly calm and gentle conversation is artfully done. And that song in the background, sweet Jesus. ("Dream Team" by Aidan Knight, available on iTunes, of course I bought it.) And yeah, I tear up when Gloria hugs Duke, too.

Obviously there's a lot more in this episode to talk about than just the opening, but most of what I could possibly say is just being subsumed in a wave of how is it not tomorrow yet dammit.

This was when my adoration of Gloria was firmly sealed. She's just so lovely. That conversation with Audrey and then her hugging Duke. We must keep her.

And that kid is so going to need therapy. Even if he's too young to remember his parents, it's hard to keep a secret without it being obvious that there is a secret, so he's likely to at least sense that something seriously awful happened to his parents.

And how far have Nathan and Duke come? When they first learned about Duke's Trouble, Nathan would get between him and Audrey or anyone else when there was any Troubled blood present. Here, he willingly cuts himself and applies the blood to Duke's hand to test him. Then later, he holds Audrey back to keep her from following Duke, and for once you get the feeling it has nothing to do with jealousy or possessiveness, but rather that he's protecting Duke because he knows from what Duke said earlier that Audrey is the last person Duke wants to deal with, and Jennifer's the one who should go to him. I'm guessing Duke's crush on Audrey is now pretty much totally dead. I don't know that he can look at her the same way again after seeing what he saw in her when she re-Troubled him.

I was really sad about the TWOP closing because it meant I couldn't nominate Nathan kneeing William in the crotch for a Tubey in the "moments that make you say "hell yeah!" category.

And I have really no idea where they're going from here. That's one reason I like this show. Most shows, if you give me a cliffhanger, I'll have mentally written the conclusion and not be too far from the truth. With this show, I don't even bother with the mental fanfic to figure it out because when I do, I'm horribly wrong.

I was really sad about the TWOP closing because it meant I couldn't nominate Nathan kneeing William in the crotch for a Tubey in the "moments that make you say "hell yeah!" category.

I am neutral on the knee itself, but Audrey's look of "Yeah, okay, that works" afterwards is one of my favorite things.

And I have really no idea where they're going from here. That's one reason I like this show.

Quoted for truth. I haven't been this gleefully bewildered about what's coming next since they locked the Doctor in the Pandorica.

There is one thing that perked my ears up on second rewatch, though. In the flashback to William and Mara running away in the woods, William says that they've broken every rule there is. Rule, not law. Maybe it's nothing, but it implies to me that there's some other authority that they or their abilities answer to.