Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01 Pilot

• Start Topic

A family emergency sends a ruthless killer from Taipei to LA. Cash-strapped Bruce takes a new gig. When a crisis erupts, estranged brothers reunite.

I'm amused by the idea that Bruce wants to do improv. Improv, esp the improv scene in LA, is dear to my heart. (but it's crazy to have spent $5K on improv in one semester! Upright Citizens Brigade classes cost like $500 for a class lasting eight weeks. Take two, that's a grand. Add another couple classes from other schools, plus admission to indie improv shows and coaching fees for an indie team, and that's still way, way below $5K.)

It's a bit dumb that the Sun triad, esp the father, is super paranoid but somehow didn't draw all the blinds or curtains before letting the big boss in the apartment.

It's really hard to believe Bruce basically forgot he had a brother. I'll guess this will be addressed a bit in future episodes? TBH it's also a little hard to believe Bruce was completely sheltered from the family business. And that Mama Sun just kept her gang life in the past while living in the US.

But I guess that helps explain why Charles had no local help in LA and had to go hire at a club instead of having a fixer arrange things: the Sun triad has no US presence at all, despite being renowned. Again, this is just hard to believe. Not that they wouldn't directly operate in the US, but that they wouldn't even have affiliates.

I did like the fight scenes, and the comedy was solid. TK was great.

There is a lot of suspension of disbelief as they build this world, but the quality of the show makes up for it for me. The comedy is spot on.  I'm not much of a martial arts show fan.  However, because of the often comedic elements, I find this enjoyable.  The brothers are so different and have led such different lives.