Type keyword(s) to search

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (2022)

• Start Topic

I gotta tell you, I loved this movie.  

I'm an old lady and generally don't go to run-of-the-mill cartoons (I do make a point to see things like Marcel the Shell with Shoes On or Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio, but don't bother with Pixar or the like much any more).  But the trailer for Puss in Boots had me laughing every time I saw it.

Antonio Banderas was perfect.  And when Puss in Boots was scared, he really looked scared. The entire sequence in the cat lady's house had me rolling.  "This is where dignity goes to die."

Sometimes I go to movie ticketing websites and look at how many tickets are sold just to get a feel for how a movie is doing.  I can't believe how many people this movie is still drawing.  It's got legs like Top Gun: Maverick.  And it's selling single seats, so it's not just people taking their kids.  I'm glad.  It deserves it.

• Like 4

Watched this on Peacock. I was skeptical about all the hype this was getting because Shrek has been pretty much milked dry and the other Puss in Boots movie was just meh. But this was good! Really good! I This might have been the best one since Shrek 2!

Perrito was so cute, and Goldilocks and the Three Bears was an anti villain story that actually worked. I also had to love the new animation style, it really made it work. Well done, Dreamworks!

• Like 1

I actually blubbed and got misty-eyed watching this movie. I too was surprised, because I'm not really into digital animation. (Pixar movies I've watched total: 2) I ended up watching Puss In Boots: The Last Wish because the timing worked out perfectly, after a shopping day with friends, so I had zero expectations about this movie, except maybe to laugh at some pop culture references that Shrek movies push out. 

The movie told a real story about having to face your mortality within the framework of commercial animation. I was delighted, amazed, and emotionally connected to the characters and story. By the way, Goldilocks is Florence Pugh's Best. Performance. Ever. (Sorry, Little Women hot take: I don't think she was great shakes in that one.) 

Team Friendship! 

• Like 2

I took my grandson to see this last week (as a sidenote, pretty much the only movies I ever seem to see in a theatre are ones he wants to see).  Anyway I loved it!  I wasn't expecting much - to be honest I had my kindle in my purse - but I didn't take my eyes off the screen for a minute. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 3/22/2023 at 10:39 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

to be honest I had my kindle in my purse

I'm impressed.  When I was little, parents would drop us kids off at the movies on Saturday and leave us there all day, but it's not like that any more.  Most people wouldn't leave a child in a theater alone while they go into the lobby to sit and read.

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Most people wouldn't leave a child in a theater alone while they go into the lobby to sit and read.

I had planned to read in the theatre!  I guess at 10 he'd have been ok (lord knows I was going to movies with my younger sister alone at that age) but somehow it never even crossed my mind!  Maybe if a few other kids had been with him - hmm, knowing him this would NOT have been a good idea!