Type keyword(s) to search

The 12th Victim - General Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

SHOWTIME Documentary Films announced THE 12TH VICTIM, a four-part docuseries that sheds new light on the infamous 1958 Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate murder case, in which the teenage couple was charged and convicted of brutally killing 11 victims at random. Told through a stylistic blend of archival and recreated footage and countless film and television series inspired by the killings, THE 12TH VICTIM reexamines Fugate's guilty verdict, who was 14 years old at the time of the killings, through a modern lens, questioning the media and judicial system's treatment of her despite her self-proclaimed innocence. Executive produced by Oscar-winning filmmaker Morgan Neville, the series will premiere on Friday, February 17 at 8 p.m. ET/PT, with new episodes airing weekly on Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on SHOWTIME. All four episodes will also release on demand and on streaming platforms for SHOWTIME subscribers on February 17.

Press release and trailer http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/01/24/showtime-documentary-films-announces-the-12th-victim-from-oscar-award-winning-executive-producer-morgan-neville-and-emmy-nominated-director-nicola-b-marsh-675010/20230124showtime01/

• Like 1

Anyone watching this? I’ve watched episodes 1-3.  I still can’t be 100% sure she wasn’t involved. She was his girlfriend after all.   made that  jail sound like a country club. 
The boyfriend was an animal & with that low IQ , impaired. 
interesting story , I’ll have to research it more. 

I just started it this morning after hearing about it on a podcast. I currently lean toward her being a reluctant participant and not the murdery-sex-kitten of pop culture, but I'm only on episode two. Absolutely grossed out by the police interrogation of her, regardless of her guilt or innocence.

• Like 3
On 5/10/2023 at 12:47 PM, Epeolatrix said:

I just started it this morning after hearing about it on a podcast. I currently lean toward her being a reluctant participant and not the murdery-sex-kitten of pop culture, but I'm only on episode two. Absolutely grossed out by the police interrogation of her, regardless of her guilt or innocence.

I just finished episode 2 as well.  I completely agree with your post.

I'm leaning towards her basically being a kidnap victim along for the ride.  We all know of numerous cases where a victim has the opportunity to get away or ask for help and they don't do it.  She also didn't know her family was dead.  Her flat affect seemed to me to be the byproduct of abuse.  The part I was confused about was how wonderfully they spoke about her stepfather and how well her treated her and her Mother.  But earlier, they said there were so many domestic disputes at their house that is likely why police just kind of shrugged off the concerns of the grandmother.  Which was it? 

Speaking of the grandmother, I wonder why she didn't come to her aid when she was in jail?  I know her sister showed up. 

I spoiled myself by researching this online and what happens to Caril so I may not continue.  The whole story is incredibly sad.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1