Type keyword(s) to search

Blood, Sex & Royalty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode 1:  Boleyns for the Win

Young Anne Boleyn grows up to be a freethinker after spending time at the French court—and her outspoken ways soon catch the eye of a powerful suitor.

Episode 2: Never Let Them See You Cry

As Henry attempts to find a way out of his marriage, Anne introduces him to the radical—and outlawed—writings of religious reformer William Tyndale.

Episode 3: Somebody Wants Me Dead

After a series of political uprisings and personal tragedies, Anne's marriage with Henry sours—and her perch at court becomes increasingly precarious.

I'll check it out.  But it really seems to only be 3 episodes on the Anne Boleyn story.  I'm wondering if there are future mini-seasons planned, because if not, who else are the "deadliest, sexiest and most iconic" monarchs the tagline is referring to?

On 11/29/2022 at 7:35 AM, Shelbie said:

I watched episode one and part of episode two. I enjoyed them and will continue. I have seen the historians on other programs and like their take on things. 

On 11/29/2022 at 8:01 AM, dubbel zout said:

I watched the first episode and was bored. I didn't learn anything new. 

I got around to finishing all three episodes, and surprisingly I found myself quite enjoying it.  I agree that this show didn't really add much knowledge or new takes.  But I really enjoyed the scenes of the historians talking about and explaining the actual history, interspersed with scenes from the show.  I especially enjoyed and appreciated Tracy Borman (I've been meaning to read some of her books) and Susannah Lipscomb.

The Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn story has been told so many times, thus I found this to be an interesting way to introduce the story to viewers who might be less familiar with it.  I liked the way that Anne would break the fourth wall when she introduced new people to the viewers.

I would have enjoyed a deeper exploration of the charges against Anne, but I get that there were only three episodes so things had to be sped up or glossed over.  Most historians believe the charges were completely manufactured, but it would have been nice to have heard the historians on the show explain this in more detail.  In particular, I was disappointed there wasn't more discussion about Jane Rochford's role in Anne's death and the death of her husband George.  Other shows have shown Jane directly accusing them.  But in this show, it was only implied, like when Jane seemed taken aback when she walked in on George and Anne lying closely together on a bed (fully clothed) or when she eavesdrops on Anne's flirtation with Henry Norris.  At least one historian has said that Jane is undeserving of her reputation in history.  So I would have liked to have at least heard some mention of the fact that history believes she condemned her husband and Anne to death, but perhaps there are unanswered questions.

I've never seen these actors before, but I thought the actress who played Anne was great.  And the guy who played Henry VIII with his red hair and personality seemed born to play Henry VIII.  My only complaint is that if they go to such lengths to find a red-haired guy to play Henry, can't they find a brown-eyed woman to play Anne?  It's well known that Anne wasn't particularly pretty (which given this is TV/movie, no production would ever cast an ugly Anne) and that her best features were her eyes, "which were black and beautiful".  Natalie Dormer ("The Tudors"), Claire Foy ("Wolf Hall"), this one - all blue-eyed beauties.   I suppose "The Other Boleyn Girl" (Natalie Portman) got this right.

Not sure how this show is doing in the viewership ratings.  I'm not holding out hope for another season, but the way this season was subtitled "Anne Boleyn" indicates to me that the series is intended to continue, and focus on another figure.  The natural subject of a potential season 2 would be Catherine Howard.

• Love 1