Type keyword(s) to search

Let the Comparisons In: Movies vs Show Topic

• Start Topic

On 10/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, taanja said:

Ok in the book and original Swedish movie - Eli - is not a girl.

Thank you for that info. I've only seen the movie, not read the book. That explains why people keep saying Eli isn't a girl and they don't mean she's a monster. 

I want to like this show but I'm struggling. The original movie was such a haunted love story. I don't even describe it as a vampire movie. 

On 11/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, hatchetgirl said:

Thank you for that info. I've only seen the movie, not read the book. That explains why people keep saying Eli isn't a girl and they don't mean she's a monster. 

I want to like this show but I'm struggling. The original movie was such a haunted love story. I don't even describe it as a vampire movie. 

This is VERY much loosely based on the book/movie. Like loosely with a capital L

I'm liking it because it's not too scary. And since it is not like the book/movie -- I am just raking it as it comes --- which means I have NO expectations.

7 hours ago, taanja said:

I'm liking it because it's not too scary. And since it is not like the book/movie -- I am just raking it as it comes --- which means I have NO expectations.

I'll do the same.  I love the Norwegian movie so much, it's an all time favorite.  I was hopeful they would get a similar feeling but now I realize I need to just watch it totally as a stand alone.  

A movie is a performance recorded to be replayed for other people and is almost 2 to 3 hours long while TV shows comprises of different episodes. You can say a TV series is more like a novel; a film is more like a short story. TV shows have become more popular than films. The series has better quality. One of my favourite is Ancient Apocalypse and I think if I were an author these days I'd only work for series. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I'll do the same.  I love the Norwegian movie so much, it's an all time favorite.  I was hopeful they would get a similar feeling but now I realize I need to just watch it totally as a stand alone.  

I started watching this series because of the name. The (Original) Swedish movie is one of my all time favorites! Beautifully hauntingly filmed. Like you said -- more of a love story than a vampire tale.

This series, though, is is getting into the nitty gritty of being a vampire in today's world.

Like ... How would that actually work?

and of course there is the whole take on what would you do to keep your child alive? Your child needs fresh blood to live. Where do you get that? How do you get that? Do you commit murder? What are you willing to sacrifice so that your child will continue to live.

• Like 1
  • Love 1