Type keyword(s) to search

Hostages

• Start Topic

Hostages explores the Iran Hostage Crisis of 1979 and its resounding consequences. The four-part documentary series reveals never-before-seen archival footage and revelatory new interviews with the American hostages and Iranian hostage-takers alike. It is a gripping chronicle of one of the most dramatic international deadlocks in American history, and a deep dive into the geo-political history that led to the crisis.

Premieres on HBO with the first 2 episodes on Wednesday September 28 at 9pm ET and concludes with the 3rd and 4th episode on Thursday September 28 at 9pm ET, and streams on HBO Max

I haven't watched the full doc series yet, but I cheated and watched the last few minutes of the 4th episode that was a wrapup of the various people involved and how things went with Iran. What I found sad was that the revolution, at least for the Iranians, held such promise of change, but Khomeini turned out to be just as repressive of the Shah and the Iranians have had to endure 40+ years of further repression. I think many of them want better relations with the US, but the regime won't let that happen. It was also interesting to hear from some of the students now, where some still support the regime and others changed and went against it

Edited by DanaK

I knew about the troubled history of US/Iranian relations, but there was a WHOLE lot I didn’t know about the crisis before watching this. 

If you’re interested in the Iranian hostage crisis, this is definitely required viewing.

• Love 2