Type keyword(s) to search

Everything's Trash - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Everything's Trash is a new half-hour Comedy Series set to air on Freeform on July 13 with two back to back episodes starting at 10:00 p.m., before airing weekly on Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.

289357755_574922137324133_52173705733640

Everything’s Trash is written, executive-produced and stars Phoebe Robinson and is loosely base on her life, as documented by her 2018 book, a collection of essays entitled "Everything’s Trash, But It’s Ok". Everything’s Trash, the TV Series follows “Phoebe, a 30-something outspoken podcast star making her professional mark while living a broke and delightfully messy life in Brooklyn. Phoebe has a closet full of expensive shoes. She is buying expensive dresses, but she wears them with the tags still on and then returns them the next day.

everythings-trash-phoebe-robinson.jpg

When her "perfect" older brother launches a political campaign, she’s forced to start her adulting journ-journ. Ugh. Life may be a little boo-boo, but Phoebe, ever the cocoa queen, is still thriving.

When her older brother Jayden emerges as a leading politician, she’s forced to grow up and relies on her friends and close-knit family to help her figure out adulthood, since she doesn’t seem to have a clue.

I really just wanted to lean into how I'm not trying to represent the Black community, I'm just representing my experience and the experience of the writers in the writers' room.

everythings-trash-phoebe-robinson-social

Phoebe Robinson plays Phoebe Hill, which is me in my early thirties, when I was bopping around the city, podcasting, doing standup, eating dollar pizza, maybe not dating the best kind of people to date.

Jordan Carlos plays Jayden Hill, Phoebe’s Blerd-y older brother who was recently elected as a NY State representative. Their boundary-less relationship must change as Phoebe’s wild yet entertaining behavior threatens to overshadow his Barack Obama-esque aspirations. Robinson’s real-life brother, Phil Robinson, is a member of the Ohio House of Representatives.

Jordan Carlos      Toccarra Cash      Phoebe Robinson 
157203_0654_R2-900x0.jpg

Toccarra Cash plays Malika Jones, Phoebe’s savvy, smart and beautiful “Code Switch Queen” podcast producer. As Phoebe’s work wife and ride or die friend, Malika tries to balance wanting Phoebe to grow up with also encouraging her to be messy because hey, the mess pays the bills and is funny AF.

Nneka Okafor plays Jessie Ajayi-Hill, Phoebe’s sister-in-law who’s a former socialite-turned-feminist and college professor. She worries that she is the only one in her in-laws’ family that has the strength to let Phoebe know that some of her shenanigans are dangerous to her husband Jayden’s career and too influential on her daughter Aisha.

Farah Felisbret plays Aisha, the child of Jayden and Jessie.

Moses Storm plays Michael, Phoebe’s BFF, roommate and friend since freshman year of college. He is a video game live streamer who is not ashamed to promote his TikTok whenever he can. Michael is more than happy to not grow up and will be the playful devil on Phoebe’s shoulder.

Jackée Harry plays Zora Hill, Phoebe and Jayden’s mother. She and her husband are mid-Western transplants, but they have made a home in NY. They love and support their children equally, but truth be known, Zora acts (and dresses) younger than she is and straddles the line between “I’m my daughter’s mother” and “I’m my daughter’s best friend.”

George Wallace plays Abraham Hill, Phoebe and Jayden’s father and husband to Zora. He and his wife have been together since middle school and like Zora, he has treated Phoebe more like a friend than a daughter, which was fine before because she always brought laughter and joy to the family. However, now that Jayden is an elected official, Frederick worries that his daughter’s ne’er do well ways is not a great look for the family.

S01.E01: Choosing Between Peen & Politics Is Trash

Phoebe, a 30-something outspoken podcast star making her mark while living a broke and delightfully messy life in Brooklyn, is forced to start her "adulting" journey when her seemingly perfect older brother launches a political campaign.

Original Airdate: July 13
162885_0082-900x0.jpg
162886_0499-900x0.jpg

S01.E02: Black Excellence Is Trash

Phoebe and Malika are thrilled when the podcast is selected to be featured in a magazine, but when the pressure of trying to land the cover starts to get to them, it pushes them to achieve the look of Black excellence by any means necessary.

Original Airdate: July 13
163363_0424_R-900x0.jpg
163363_0161_R-400x0.jpg

(edited)

I love this so far, but then, I love Phoebe Robinson. I laughed out loud several times. I hope this gains traction. I was able to see it via my HBO Max subscription saw it on Hulu.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I love this so far, but then, I love Phoebe Robinson. I laughed out loud several times. I hope this gains traction. I was able to see it via my HBO Max subscription.

Pretty sure it is not on HBO Max, but it is on Hulu.

S01.E05: Catching Feelings Is Trash

Phoebe decides it’s “heaux-o’clock” after a date tells her he wants to explore a deeper connection. However, as much as she tries not to catch feelings, she may have already fallen for him.

Original Airdate: Wednesday, August 3, 2022   10:30 p.m.     Freeform 
36168AF5-184E-4FC8-8B41-CDDA76FB0162.jpg
813210A4-3A27-431F-8D3D-2C9A69E39478.jpg

S01.E06: Family Is Trash

Phoebe goes to Jayden for help, but he’s tired of cleaning up her messes and wants no part of it. Now it’s up to Malika and Jessie to help them mend their relationship.

Original Airdate: Wednesday, August 10, 2022   10:30 p.m.     Freeform 
164848_0004.jpg
164848_0018.jpg

S01.E07: Rom-Coms Are Mostly Trash

Phoebe tries to play matchmaker with Malika and Michael, but Malika sees this as an opportunity to fan old flames with her ex. Meanwhile, Jayden worries that he and Jessie have lost their spark, so they decide to spice things up.

Original Airdate: Wednesday, August 17, 2022   10:30 p.m.     Freeform 
19843422-713C-4D30-9F4B-0D89469A2DF9.jpg
5BC1DB89-3122-4EFC-8E8E-58CF57F8BB9C.jpg

S01.E08: Being an Auntie Is Trash

After she gets some new interns, Phoebe’s desire to be cool “Auntie Fee Fee” causes problems. Meanwhile, Jayden prepares for his town hall, and Jessie teaches him how to own the space.

Original Airdate: Wednesday, August 24, 2022   10:30 p.m.     Freeform 
EA6E2F88-E8D0-4B0C-A037-98641C683FC0.jpg
C503449D-3399-414D-9F91-C673116F35C0.jpg

Hmm. Despite the interns' protests, Phoebe encourages ( demands, actually) that they go out and do something trashy. Then when they finally do, she happily penalizes them for it?

That seems pretty trashy to me.

S01.E09: United Fronts Are Trash

Phoebe hosts a dinner party with the best intentions, but not all of her guests see eye to eye. It’s going to be funnn!

Original Airdate: Wednesday, August 31, 2022   10:30 p.m.     Freeform 

164139_0680_R.jpg

S01.E10: Election Night Is Trash

(Season Finale)

It’s Election Day, and everyone is stressed. Jayden, Jessie and Michael work on trying to secure votes. As Phoebe questions settling into a routine with Hamilton, she and Malika have a big decision to make about their podcast’s future.

Original Airdate: Wednesday, September 7, 2022   10:30 p.m.     Freeform 
164239_0001_R.jpg