Type keyword(s) to search

American Masters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Since its premiere in 1986, this Emmy-winning documentary series has presented hundreds of hours comprising profiles of outstanding American cultural artists. Past subjects have included Charlie Chaplin, Helen Hayes, pop icon Andy Warhol, singer Billie Holliday and composer-conductor Leonard Bernstein." (PBS)

• Love 2

You could always ask your local library to order the DVD. Looks to be about $50. For some reason it isn't available to buy directly. 

From the American Masters page on the episode:

A DVD of “Ralph Ellison: An American Journey”, containing an additional hour of video commentary and analysis can be purchased from California Newsreel.

I couldn't get it to come up on the AM page on Pbs.org but a Google search brought it up. 

• Love 1

Yikes. Does no one watch anymore? 
“Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road “ documentary? Did anyone See it? So very talented but at such a cost. Thought it was pretty good. I feel so bad that he has to live the way he does. And then there is Dennis drowning in the 80’s. 😞

• Love 1

My local PBS station is running the Loretta Lynn episode from 2016 on Friday evening. (10/07)

I'm not a country fan but with all the stories after her passing, I started to remember what a huge presence she was when I was a kid.  It might be interesting.

• Useful 1

For September:

"Bella! This Woman's Place is in the House" (about late Congresswoman and activist Bella Abzug), Sep 8

"Jerry Brown: The Disruptor" (about former California governor and activist), Sep 15

"Floyd Abrams: Speaking Freely" (about celebrated First Amendment lawyer), Sep 22

"A Song for Cesar" (about labor activist Cesar Chavez), Sep 29

• Useful 3