Type keyword(s) to search

The D’Amelio Show - General Discussion

GaT
  • Start Topic

The D’Amelio Show is a reality series about Charli D’Amelio, who went from being an average 15-year-old in 2019 to having 125 million TikTok followers two years later. Since the popularity of her TikTok feed — with videos that have the trained competitive dancer strutting her stuff — has taken off, the D’Amelios’ lives have taken a 180. But how is Charli (and her older sister Dixie) handling all of this

Anybody else watching this?

I pretty much binged this. I am most definitely not the TikTok demographic (I don't do any social media), & I just couldn't understand how all these TikTokers became so famous from 30 second videos which mostly seem to be about dancing, so I decided to watch this since Charli D'Amelio is the most famous TikToker. Well, I still don't know why 30 second dance videos have made her so famous (and neither does she), but I can't believe how much anxiety Charli & her sister Dixie have. Apparently they've had it their entire lives & social media has just made it worse. I felt they both were so fragile & I can't understand why. I really felt bad for Charli when she got a new therapist & during a phone call the therapist told her how much her daughter liked her & Charli realized that she was never going to be able to talk truthfully to the therapist because she made her daughter happy. All in all, I thought it was interesting, but like I said, I still don't understand TikTok.

I'm about halfway through the series.  I'm not on TikTok but also curious about the seemingly overnight celebrity of the platform's top influencers.

Clearly no one truly knows how Charli and Dixie managed to amass such huge followings.  But if I had to guess, I think it's because they're basic.  And I don't mean that in a derogatory way.  From what I can tell, TikTok is really geared toward trends (and dances) that anyone can do.  Charli truly embodies the average teenager and I could see how she might represent the concept of "if she can do it, so can I."  Also, it sounds like she was an early user on the platform so she may have gained some traction just being a big fish in a smaller pond.

Overall, Charli seems very sweet.  However, Hollywood and the public can be vicious.  But there does seem to be a recent cultural shift around the mental impact of being a celebrity.  Hopefully she continues to have a good support team going forward (and that she is treated with the same level of consideration as other non-social media celebrities).

The only major eye roll moment for me was in the first episode when the parents were complaining during their business manager's presentation about how there was no time for Charli to just be a kid.  While that concern is completely legitimate, that is under their control.  Presumably they hired the business manager to create business opportunities and make millions of dollars for them.  Don't be surprised when he does just that.  If they are concerned about the schedule, they need to be willing to say no to certain opportunities (which means losing money).

On 9/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, zenithwit said:

The only major eye roll moment for me was in the first episode when the parents were complaining during their business manager's presentation about how there was no time for Charli to just be a kid.  While that concern is completely legitimate, that is under their control.  Presumably they hired the business manager to create business opportunities and make millions of dollars for them.  Don't be surprised when he does just that.  If they are concerned about the schedule, they need to be willing to say no to certain opportunities (which means losing money).

It's hard to take the "Where's the time for Charli to be a kid" seriously when you're saying this while you're currently filming a reality show

• Love 1

Anybody watching season 2? I didn't realize all the episodes weren't dropped already, so I have the last 2 to watch which are going to be released 10/11, so I'll catch them then, but in the meantime....In the 2nd comment in this thread, I say "I can't believe how much anxiety Charli & her sister Dixie have" (sorry for quoting myself). Guess what? I'm watching season 2 & "I can't believe how much anxiety Charli & her sister Dixie have".  How is it possible that it hasn't improved at all? How is it possible that these people decided to go into the entertainment industry? Watching their anxiety is giving me anxiety.

Well, I guess I'm all by my lonesome. Apparently it's not 6 episodes, it's 8, which it better be because they have a pretty big plot to resolve.

Anyway, Dixie needs to dump this Noah guy (I just know he's a TikTok star, but I don't know why). He likes & follows people who say terrible things about her because they're his "fans". Wow, what a dimwit.

I am an old who doesn't understand Tik Tok but as a parent? I would have shut the whole thing down. You can't say this is awful on one hand and keep taking the money with the other. Look at what has happened to so many young celebs. This is all self imposed torture.