Type keyword(s) to search

One Day At A Time (2017) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I recently re-watched season one, which unfolds at a great pace, and burst into tears yet again when Penelope did what was supposed to be the father-daughter dance with Elena at her quinces.  "I got you."  So powerful, and such a great callback to when Penelope had cried to Lydia that she wanted to raise her kids with a partner, someone to do a list of things ending with "give you a hug and say 'I got you'" and Lydia walked over and did just that.

Justina Machado is so great in this show (and to be so noticeably good when acting alongside the national treasure that is Rita Moreno is really something), and that quinces moment is one of the many examples - the look on her face when Penelope realizes Victor split, and she immediately tears up, angry and sad and devastated for her daughter, then quickly and subtly wipes them away, steels herself, and calmly walks out there to make this hurtful, humiliating situation less so in front of everyone.  So many emotions in such a short span of time, all conveyed non-verbally. 

I miss the Alvarez family.

• Love 1

I am rewatching this on Amazon and not usually a fan of comedies but I find this one hits all the right notes and hate to think why the show wasn’t more popular and just wonder if it is a simple as people getting caught up in the Cuban thing, the remake thing and/or  the Netflix thing?  Not to mention the lesbian thing.    It’s a it’s unusual that I like all the characters on a sitcom.     But this show was actually both funny and heartwarming at the same time.  Hard to do.

• Like 1