Type keyword(s) to search

The Science in the Show: Fact, Fiction or Future?

• Start Topic

One of the things I like about the show is that it not only offers a plausible alternate future of the institution of NASA, the science in the show is also plausible. I thought the Sea Dragon was a pretty stupid concept. Then I found out that it was a serious plan.

In the episode thread there's a discussion on what happened to Gordo and Tracy during their moonwalk. I found this article in Scientific American on what research tells us.

In reality, however, animal experiments and human accidents have shown that people can likely survive exposure to vacuum conditions for at least a couple of minutes. Not that you would remain conscious long enough to rescue yourself, but if your predicament was accidental, there could be time for fellow crew members to rescue and repressurize you with few ill effects.

It seems like they would have been lucky to get to the controls and almost certainly wouldn't have made it back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1