Type keyword(s) to search

The Sparks Brothers (2021)

• Start Topic

(edited)

What a fun documentary!  The only down side is that now I'm sad that these guys were somehow never on my radar.  Smart, funny, talented, kind.  In the hands of a talented director.  Can't ask for much more than that.

I'm in Chicago and it's showing in theaters all over town.  Music documentaries are always better in a movie theater.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_PGv4DGMvg

Edited by StatisticalOutlier

I don't think there were too many talking heads, but I didn't know anything Sparks at all, so every minute was illuminating.  I actually wanted to spend more time with everybody. 

For those who don't like talking heads, there's a lot of archival footage (including a great scene of teenage girls jumping on these guys who were, unfortunately, performing on a very low stage), and I particularly liked the animation (both the clay figures stuff and the drawings with the stick legs).

Plus, the talking heads had a hilarious moment, when there were two members of Duran Duran sitting side-by-side, and they were identified by name under their image, with "Duran" under one of them's name, and "Duran" under the other's name. 

The whole movie had clever things like that.  I did think the question, "How did you meet?" ("We're brothers") seemed kind of manufactured, but I give them a pass on that because the delivery was good.