Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: 1950s: People Had Parties

• Start Topic

A revealing look at the vibrant and full lives lived by queer people in the 1950s amidst a steep rise in governmental regulations against the LGBTQ+ community led by Senator Joseph McCarthy, who ushered in an era of government-sanctioned persecution.

Original air date 2021.05.14

I found this first episode a little confused. It definitely felt like it was made by Academics and Filmmakers. I think the historians wanted to make an argument (or were pushed to it by production) but I'm not sure I entirely bought it. Things were good but also bad but not as bad as you think but also here's this story of a politician's suicide. It felt like they were in conversation with a narrative they wanted to push back against but if there's anything about academia, it's gaining the knowledge and fluency in rhetoric and academic language to argue whatever whatever point you want to make somewhat convincingly. I'm sure people in cities were able to be more open and that people could find their communities. That doesn't really refute the other points. And what did going to Denmark for surgery have to do with US science? Silly.

I feel like they were trying to get too fancy in the reenactment bits with the actors but also not fancy enough for it to actually be compelling. idk... I didn't need actors in this.

It would have been nice to have a greater diversity of speakers but that's a whole academia, journalism, etc. problem. But like, they could have tried harder. Even having one younger person added so much.