Type keyword(s) to search

The World To Come (2021)

• Start Topic

I saw this in a theater, and it is just gorgeous.  At one point, I noticed that it looked kind of grainy and I thought, "Could this have been shot on film?"  Then the credits included Kodak.  Bingo!

I was so glad to have gone because it really was beautiful, and I want to support filmmakers who embrace shooting a movie on film as opposed to shooting a bunch of stuff on video and assembling the movie afterward. 

For anyone who cares at all about how a movie looks, this one deserves to be seen in a theater.  And fortunately for you and unfortunately for the filmmakers, it looks like almost nobody is going, at least in my area (I like to look at reserved seating charts online just to get an idea of how many people are seeing various movies).  There were screenings over the weekend where nobody had bought a ticket.  At my screening on Friday afternoon, it was me and one other person, and at the noon showing today (holiday Monday), no tickets were sold as of the start time. 

• Love 1

You are inadvertently my hero because I have a terrible time remembering the endings of movies, and I had realized that I couldn't remember the end of this one.  Thank you!

And now that you described it, I do remember it.  And I had a favorable impression of the movie, so it's safe to assume that I "approved" of that last scene.  I did see this in a review, and it gives me some possible insight into the choice:

On the contrary, Abigail and Tallie are seldom onscreen together at all, and only in hindsight can we appreciate how charged the space between them is when they are.

ETA:  Here's a link to the review:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/the-world-to-come-review-1234584699/

Also, I couldn't get over how good Tallie's wig was--I was actually wondering if that was her real hair, and I looked closely at her hairline and didn't see anything wig-like.  Which makes me wonder even more why wigs on men, for like movies set in the 70,s are so awful.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier