Type keyword(s) to search

Whole Lotta Quotin' Goin' On

• Start Topic

Here's the thread for Lovecraft Country quotes, such as the racist sheriff's reference to so-called "sundown towns," as in towns where Black people shouldn't be on the streets at sundown, for racist reasons.

Post your favorite quotes here-if you dare.

Opening narration: "This is a story of a boy and his dream. But more than that, it is a story of an American boy, and a dream that is truly American."

It turns out that this is lifted from the movie "The Jackie Robinson Story." It is literally Atticus's dream within the story, as we find out he is napping on the bus, but it is also a statement about more broadly about Atticus and what his character represents.

----------

Atticus: "Good riddance to old Jim Crow." (gives Kentucky the finger)

---------

Atticus: "Stories are like people. Loving them doesn't make them perfect. You just try to cherish them, overlook their flaws."

Fellow traveler: "Yeah, but their flaws are still there."

Atticus: "Yeah, they are. But I love pulp stories. I love that heroes get to go on adventures in other worlds, defy insurmountable odds, defeat the monster, save the day. Little Negro boys from the South Side of Chicago don't notoriously get to do that."

----------

Hippolyta: "Why, George Freeman, you've got me blushing before God."

George: "If He's watching, I figure we should give him a show."

----------

George: "Horror is usually my thing."

----------

Atticus reading Montrose's letter: "I've found something about your mother's forebearers. You have a sacred -- secret legacy that has been kept from you, a birthright."

----------

George: "Lovecraft based that on Salem, but that's not real."

Atticus: "You sure?"

----------

Mysterious South Korean woman:"You went home. You shouldn't have."

----------

Leti: "We still friends?"

Atticus: "Well considering you were the only female member of the South Side Futurist Science Fiction Club..."

----------

Leti: "I heard you were down in Florida hiding out. How was it?"

Atticus: "Segregated."

----------

George: "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Atticus: "A book can't refuse you service."

Leti: "Or spit in your water glass."

----------

George: "We're here, damn it. We've got every right to be. We're citizens. You're a veteran, for God's sake. Our money spends just as good as everyone else's."

----------

Leti: "Get your ass up! We got to get the fuck out of here now!"

----------

Leti: "My name's not 'girl.' It's Letitia Fucking Lewis!"

----------

Atticus: "It's not sundown yet."

----------

Leti: "Are you alright?"

George: "Depends on your definition of alright."

----------

George: "Listen to them. The children of the night. What music they make!"

----------

Atticus to Leti: "I'm not scared because fear's not going to save us. You are."

----------

Mysterious dude: "We've been expecting you, Mr. Freeman. Welcome home."

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 3

George: How did he come about his fortune?

William: Shipping.

Leticia: That's code for slaves.

William: Titus was known to be notoriously kind to those who worked for him.

------

Atticus: When have you ever shown up to a white man's house uninvited and he didn't try to get you out in 2.5 seconds?

George: They want to keep us here.

Atticus: I don't want to find out why.

------

George: We're being watched. Sit down.

------

Samuel: He's darker than I expected.

------

Samuel: I'm Adam. And I've worked a very long time to return to paradise.

------

Christina: You should think about making some friends. Not all us white folk are out to get you.

Atticus: I have enough friends.

Christina: Are you sure about that?

------

Atticus: It's a spell. It's a spell. It seems the KKK isn't just calling themselves "grand wizards" anymore.

Christina: My father and his associates would never fraternize with the Klan. They're too poor.

------

George: Dora? This isn't real. You're dead.

Not-Dora: Dance with me anyway.

------

George: You know who you are. You were a good boy. And you're an even better man. Don't you ever let them make you question yourself. That's how they win. They want to make us crazy. terrorize us, make us scared. But Letitia Fucking Lewis don't get scared, do she?

------

William: Don't mind the others. Just because they don't want you here doesn't mean you're not supposed to be.

------

Atticus: I want everybody except Samuel to get up and get the fuck out. Gentlemen, that's an order.

------

Samuel: Titus used the Book of Names to spell his body to be more powerful, and you're a resevoir of that power. Diluted no doubt, and also tainted somewhat, but still useful for the work I have to do. Do not mistake useful for indispensible.

------

Leti: Can we get the fuck out of here, please?

------

Samuel: Since you are a son among sons, I will give you a choice of who else  survives your error in judgment.

------

Christina: The smallest, most inconsequential thing can take you on a new course. You just have to see it and seize it.