Type keyword(s) to search

Best way to lighten brow hairs?

• Start Topic

I have naturally super dark hair that I lighten blonde. I normally use Jolene to lighten my brows so there's not this harsh difference in color. The problem is that my brows can look highlighted instead of evenly light brown. Any advice?

RealHouseWife- You don't say if you double-process your hair at a salon, or are using a home product, but: I have naturally mid-brown hair with lots of gray, and I home-color to a medium golden blonde (have been for years). Most people think it's my natural color, and refer to me as blonde (which still kind of surprises me!).

I have small, hazel green eyes, and naturally very thin brows that would be dark brown if I let them alone. Imo, that would look too harsh on my face, so I always use a bit of my hair color on my brows at the same time I do my hair. I just carefully spread the hair color on each brow, and then kind of rub it in. I check them periodically so they don't get too light. I always seem to end up with a few darker hairs mixed in, and once I put my 'blonde' brow makeup/powder on, it looks very natural.

I used Jolene years ago, and always thought it turned out very orange-y; the hair color method seems to produce a better result, for some reason.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

RealHouseWife- You don't say if you double-process your hair at a salon, or are using a home product, but: I have naturally mid-brown hair with lots of gray, and I home-color to a medium golden blonde (have been for years). Most people think it's my natural color, and refer to me as blonde (which still kind of surprises me!).

I have small, hazel green eyes, and naturally very thin brows that would be dark brown if I let them alone. Imo, that would look too harsh on my face, so I always use a bit of my hair color on my brows at the same time I do my hair. I just carefully spread the hair color on each brow, and then kind of rub it in. I check them periodically so they don't get too light. I always seem to end up with a few darker hairs mixed in, and once I put my 'blonde' brow makeup/powder on, it looks very natural.

I used Jolene years ago, and always thought it turned out very orange-y; the hair color method seems to produce a better result, for some reason.

I get it done at the salon. I'm trying to leave it alone while in quarantine, but we'll see what happens. I may get so bored I start experimenting with my hair. lol

I've experienced orangey results with Jolene too.

So hair color is safe to use around the eyes? And is there a particular brand and/or color you recommend?

Thanks so much!

I've been using GarnierNutrisse color 93 for years. My Hair Color

As long as you don't get it actually in your eye, it seems to be safe.  I'm pretty allergic to stuff, and I leave it on for a good 15 minutes with no problems to date. It's fairly thick, too, so it doesn't drip.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I've been using GarnierNutrisse color 93 for years. My Hair Color

As long as you don't get it actually in your eye, it seems to be safe.  I'm pretty allergic to stuff, and I leave it on for a good 15 minutes with no problems to date. It's fairly thick, too, so it doesn't drip.

You rock! Thanks so much. 😀 That shade of blonde is gorgeous! I'll probably select a light brown color for my brows. 

I've been using Just for Men beard dye for my eyebrows. There are a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to do it. And one kit will last for at least 5 or 6 rounds of color! 

1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

I've been using Just for Men beard dye for my eyebrows. There are a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to do it. And one kit will last for at least 5 or 6 rounds of color! 

Is it similar to hair dye as far as not dripping into the eyes or anything? 

I will look for those tutorials. That sounds like a good deal! Thanks a bunch. 😀

30 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Is it similar to hair dye as far as not dripping into the eyes or anything? 

It's fairly thick so...no dripping! They give you a tube of color and a tube of developer. One equal strip of both, mix them together, and apply. The tubes are a little smaller than the size of a travel toothpaste tube and you'll get lots of applications from them. 

16 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

It's fairly thick so...no dripping! They give you a tube of color and a tube of developer. One equal strip of both, mix them together, and apply. The tubes are a little smaller than the size of a travel toothpaste tube and you'll get lots of applications from them. 

Excellent! Thanks so much for helping me. This forum has so many lovely people. 😊