Type keyword(s) to search

Portrait Artist Of The Year - General Discussion

• Start Topic

S10E01 [Sitters: Richard Curtis, Emma Freud, Fleur East]

This heat had some very strong artists so I enjoyed this episode.  I agreed with the winning portrait but did not agree with the short list.  I thoght the graphite drawing of Richard Curtis deserved to be on the short list and was annoyed with Katherine's comment about graphite being at a disadvantage but I thought she had gotten over that when they chose Gareth Reid as the winning artist in the third season.

Edited by RealityCheck
  • Like 1

Bummer the lady got bit by her cat. I noticed she was wearing a bandage after that incident.

I was torn as to my favorite between the winner and the one with the blue tones that the older gentlemen picked. I did not think the other one deserved to be on the short list. Love this show!

What were the judges smoking during episode 3?! I cannot believe they put that student artist's "legs removed from body" thing through. It looked like when my young niece starts a drawing of someone, gets distracted, and then starts drawing again in another spot on the page! It has to be one of the worst I've ever seen on this show!

S10E03 [Rory Stewart Ainsley Harriott, Rob Delaney]

I finally got to watch this episode and I agree with TVbitch.  I didn't agree with the short list at all.  The least objectionable portrait was the one of Ainsley Harriott.  I definitely didn't agree the heat winner's portrait of Rory Stewart.  The head/torso proportion was off (the body was too big for the head).  And the portrait of Rob Delaney where the artist placed the bottom half of the body next to the upper half of the sitter was just ridiculous.  Every time I hear Kathleen or Kate say "I want to see something new" or "I want to see something I've never seen before", I cringe and expect the results we saw this episode.

Changing subject, here is a Tai Schierenberg interview I found interesting.  Tai talks about his family background and why he paints.  There are examples of his work shown, including a portrait of himself as a woman.

• Like 1

S10E09 [Sitter: Joan Bakewell]

Wendy Barratt is Portrait Artist of the Year 2023 (Series 10)

Some miscellaneous observations:

Joan was a very fidgety sitter.

Wendy Barratt: Wendy chose to do an elarged head and shoulders and was the only one captured Joan's likeness.

Davide di Tarantino: Davide chose to do a small profile portrait.  Unfortunately, he has only done profiles in the competition and this one missed the likeness.

Lorena Levi: I will admit I am not enamored with Lorena's style and Joan's portrait is no exception. She elongated Joan's face and neck and I didn't see Joan in the portrait

For me, Wendy was the obvious winner so I was relieved that the judges agreed.

• Like 1

I felt bad for Emma in the semis. There was really only one to choose from. I cannot believe they put Lorena through. They can't possibly think Jane would want a portrait distorted like that, in such unflattering ways. Not sure I've ever seen a semi-final with so few successful portraits.