Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Circle

Frank Langella's Minister Jaro might be the most interesting male Bajoran so far in the series (and at this point potentially as interesting as Vedek Winn--which makes it that much odder that Langella is never actually credited), though that bar is still admittedly low.  It's kind of funny that he, Stephen Macht (General Kremm) and Philip Anglim (Vedek Bareil) all tend to speak in the same slow, measured tones in this episode...but he and Stephen made it work.

That aside, this is a fairly decent continuation of the season opener; minus a couple of tonal shifts (ah, that post-opening-credits scene with Kira and her friends), it goes into fairly serious territory and stays there.  And it revisits one of the running undercurrents of season one, the Cardassians wanting the Federation out of the Bajor region.

• Love 1

Considering where they ended up taking Winn I'm not sure Jaro could have been as effective a long-term recurring character, but having him pop up a couple of times after this certainly wouldn't have hurt.  And, yeah, I'm not sure if he would have agreed to do it either.  (How the heck did they get him for this in the first place?)

(How the heck did they get him for this in the first place?)

According to Keith Decandido (ST writer & tor.com DS9 recapper), Langella "did the three-episode appearance for his children, and so worked for scale with no credit."

• Love 2

Odo getting mad about Kira leaving is cute.

I understand why Bareil was nicknamed Vedek Boring, but I've always liked him.

Kira looks cute in civilian clothing. I also enjoyed her reaction to the orb.

This episode really shows how overwhelmed Li Nalas is. He was eager to rescue Kira. Aside from feeling like he owes her, he just wants to feel useful again.

According to Keith Decandido (ST writer & tor.com DS9 recapper), Langella "did the three-episode appearance for his children, and so worked for scale with no credit."

I have heard that before. It is really sweet. Stuff like that makes me respect that actor more, even if I know nothing else about them.