Type keyword(s) to search

[Enquiry, ANSWERED] Mobile site questions/suggestions

SoMuchTV

1) When I look at a forum on a PC browser, each thread shows the who/when for the first post and the most recent post.  On my phone, it only shows that info for the first post.  (I may be misremembering, but I don't think it had even that before the upgrade.)  In my mind, if you can only show one, it would be more useful to see the who/when for the latest post.  Is that something you can configure on your end, and would you consider either adding both (first & latest) to the mobile view, or if you can only show one, polling to see which users would prefer?

2) On some sites I visit on my phone (iPhone), I prefer to "Request Desktop Site" and view it that way.  When I request that on PTV, it doesn't actually change anything.  Is that something that's been purposely disabled?  Is it possible to allow it?  Or is there some other way for me to change that setting? (I know of at least one other forum where that's the case, it's "hidden" deep in the user settings.)  Sometimes I prefer the desktop site (for reasons such as #1 above), even if I have to turn my phone sideways and do some scrolling.

Thanks!

On 2/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, SoMuchTV said:

1) When I look at a forum on a PC browser, each thread shows the who/when for the first post and the most recent post.  On my phone, it only shows that info for the first post.  (I may be misremembering, but I don't think it had even that before the upgrade.)  In my mind, if you can only show one, it would be more useful to see the who/when for the latest post.  Is that something you can configure on your end, and would you consider either adding both (first & latest) to the mobile view, or if you can only show one, polling to see which users would prefer?

That’s not the way the developers set it up and we cannot change it. We'll submit it to them as a feature request though.

On 2/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, SoMuchTV said:

2) On some sites I visit on my phone (iPhone), I prefer to "Request Desktop Site" and view it that way.  When I request that on PTV, it doesn't actually change anything.  Is that something that's been purposely disabled?  Is it possible to allow it?  Or is there some other way for me to change that setting? (I know of at least one other forum where that's the case, it's "hidden" deep in the user settings.)  Sometimes I prefer the desktop site (for reasons such as #1 above), even if I have to turn my phone sideways and do some scrolling.

This is an old pre-responsive web design feature from when sites would need to do one version for desktop and one for mobile. There’s only one design here that changes as the browser width changes. This isn’t new, PTV has always been this way.

Okay, got it.  I appreciate any consideration you could give to #1.

Regarding #2, after I posted, I played around a bit on my pc with narrowing my browser width, and once it got narrow enough, it basically mimicked what I see on my phone (i.e. no "last update" info).  So I see how it's all the same design and I understand how that must make things easier on the development side.  As someone who's hanging on for dear life to a phone that's small enough to fit in my pocket, I guess I'm just going to have to live with this "progress".

I do wish there were a "compact" option so things weren't so spread out and more fit on the screen at a time, but I understand you're working with what you have.  Thanks.