Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Fragments

As the team are knocked unconscious we find out how Jack, Toshiko, Ianto and Owen were initiated into Torchwood.

Emily: The Torchwood Institute was created to combat the threat posed by the Doctor and other phantasmagoria.

Jack: He's not a threat. The Doctor's the one who will save you from your phantasma-hoogits.

Well...sometimes.

Ah, Jack and his sideburns...

So, after talking about Ianto in possible rentboy clothes, I got the urge to watch his segment in Fragments (and really, just to hear his voice).  I'm not sure if we've ever really talked about this since I've been around but...

What is up with Jack mentioning that what Ianto is smelling is his au-naturale 51st century pheromones?  And Ianto's response is essentially, "Oh, well then."

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird?  I'm sure that it's really just about lazy writing and them forgetting that Ianto isn't suppose to know anything about Jack concerning where he's from or that he can't die.  But the dialogue is there so what's the deal?  Why would Jack just casually say that?  Did he think Ianto would just assume that he sprayed some 51st century pheromones on himself?  Well, that wouldn't be him smelling like that naturally so...no. 

When I watch that moment it just makes me think that Jack was a bit careless and naive if he thought Ianto wouldn't later think something was different about him.  You tell him you have a natural 51st century smell and then have him handling some of your clothes and your coat after you get injured or die...  This is why I have a really hard time believing that Ianto had absolutely no clue that Jack wasn't normal.  He may not have known that he didn't stay dead but he must have had some suspicions about Jack healing fast or being able to get hurt really badly but coming back from it.  This is also why I think that the (web extra) instant message conversation that links with the OoT episode has Ianto wanting to ask if Jack was sitting in the car with John when he killed himself.  I think Ianto has some idea then.

I don't know if it's lazy writing or CC just wanting to reinforce the theory of Ianto possibly knowing about Jack. Maybe since Jack knew Ianto was Torchwood One he didn't bother hiding anything since he figured Ianto would likely know more about him than the average bear. He also casually mentions time travel and dinosaurs. Or we're supposed to think that Jack just can't help but be himself with Ianto and that is one of the reasons he feels he should hire him--along with working so well together and Ianto being unflappable.

The time travel/dinosaur stuff was ok with me because they're both Torchwood and I can see those two things being something thought possible when working for Torchwood.  Not common but possible.

. Or we're supposed to think that Jack just can't help but be himself with Ianto and that is one of the reasons he feels he should hire him--along with working so well together and Ianto being unflappable.

I think this part Indeed This when they both stopped tactical talking and were just chatting, so we go to see them more naturally. If that makes sense

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird?  I'm sure that it's really just about lazy writing and them forgetting that Ianto isn't suppose to know anything about Jack concerning where he's from or that he can't die.  But the dialogue is there so what's the deal?  Why would Jack just casually say that?  Did he think Ianto would just assume that he sprayed some 51st century pheromones on himself?  Well, that wouldn't be him smelling like that naturally so...no.

We're supposed to believe Ianto doesn't know Jack can't die until the end of s1 even though that seems to be such an open secret even the government knows. But there's no real indication anyone really knows that Jack is actually from the 51st century and there's no real reason to think Jack expects Ianto to know  this . At most they know he ran with the Doctor. I can buy that letting that bit of information slip happened because Jack seems to have let his guard down a bit with Ianto, but he doesn't seem bothered he let it slip either. In Day One Ianto says he thinks Jack used to be with the CIA, but he really knows his from the 51st century apparently. If you assume he's also sleeping with him at this point then that moment is actually kind of amusing.